• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can I grow a water lily indoors? (In a big enough tank?)

Aloe_Danielo

Seedling
71C8B430-FCCD-4824-8C90-61665110351D.jpeg

I have a 4ftx4ftx1ft riparium set up which currently houses three axolotl, four mollies and a lot of shrimp.
I really want to try a water lily in my tank - there’s enough space for it and I’m more interested in growing emergent plants than stuff underneath.
Has anyone done this? Any advice?
I’ve contacted water lily nurseries and looked online to no avail. Surely it must be possible??

why do you regret it? :(
well like i have a 40b high tech
theres 1 new leaf everyday and it blocks out so much light- that i have to consistently trim it TO THE GROUND, i cut about 4-7 leaves off every week

We had a discussion on it in my journal here: https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/90cm-low-tech-wood-cobbles-emersed-probably.53444/

I broke a piece off a pond lilly, still waiting on it to put up surface leaves though. It looks happy enough but is only 4" tall at the moment. I'm not sure what the trigger is, possibly it's confused as it was just starting to die back a bit for winter when I pulled it.

Thanks Tam - really interesting read. I've ordered a Nymphaea Liou dwarf variety from an online pond plant retailer. Tbh I'm expecting them to email back telling me it's out of stock/wrong season! :rolleyes:

I'm not bothered about blocking out the light as the axolotls are 'creatures of the shadows' and barely come out when the lights are on. My main worry is that it won't grow at all as I don't fertilise... (other than axi poo - and they do a lot of that!)

I don't know anything about axolotls (other than clearly very cute) but would root tabs been an option or you could even plant the lilly into a pot/basket as you would in a pond using some aquatic soil. Might work just on poop but you will hit a limit on the amount of plants it can support.

I think I could have root tabs - I'll research and yes I could put it in a basket too although I'd have to beautify it some how

i've grown Nymphaea zenkeri in more or less just sand, seems fine so long as the surface leaves can get enough light

Do they grow well in shallow aquaria? Yours is only 1 foot. Lilies seem to grow in deep water. Try it and see though.

All are hybrids, the size and or developing floaters is very depended on light intensity and fertilisation.

Any tips on getting them to develop floating leaves? I'm now eight weeks in and mine looks like this, lots of new leaves but they are all only 1" off the substrate!

20181110_110534b.jpg

Marcel, what's the usual "rule" on size and developing floaters vs light intensity and fertz ?

Any tips on getting them to develop floating leaves?

Hard to say in lumens or par regarding light.. I'm growing 2 differnt sp. at the moment in aqaurium.

Still growing this one
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/i-think-i-am-in-love.37099/
Back then it had a fair amont of light with calculated (not measured) over 4000 lumens LED and added CO², water column ferts and a clay cone under the bulb every 2 months. Today this very same tank has no light at all other than inderect light from an east facing window and no more co² nor ferts for over 2 years maybe. Note the size difference floating as well the submersed growth at the substrate i guess the lilyball outlet is a nice reference. Same lily 5 times smaller. growing both forms, floating and submersed.
DSC_0438.jpg

They are darn addaptable.

In a way it also is very sp. depended. The other one in the Skylight lit tank. Only makes floaters in the summer with sufficient day light hitting the tank.
Pic taken 14 juli lately. Only growing floaters - with artifical light switched off
dsc_0116-jpg.jpg

Pic taken today, november, slowly shedding it's floaters not growing new ones and only growing submersed form leaves. - Whit artificial light switched on. Make a best guess.. :) Must be light deficiency for this one.
DSC_0439.jpg

This are both tuber lilies that could do outdoor and survive a winter. But still both have different requirments.

Than Tropical sp. such as N. zenkeri, N. nouchalli/stellata and cross hybrids from it or the N. glandulifera etc. are ext to this more temperatur sensitive. Ask @Edvet he can confirm how difficult these tropical buggers can be. Glandulifera alledgedly hates anything bellow 28°C. I failed misserably with it 2 x.

Other consideration is flow, 10 x turnover is likely to much for it to develop floaters. Going with a minimal possible flow is best..

That makes it rather difficult to give an conclusive answer on rules on the entire genus.. It can be either this or that or multiple at the same time.
"Not enough light", "to much flow" or "fert" and or even "temperatur" deficiency. :) With in this genus the specific rules should be somewhere with in these 4 factors.

With the temporate small bulb varieties listed above you have the best changes finding the correct combination in a relative average range. As said with the tropical sp. it might not be feasible in your setup to go + 28°C for a longer periode to see if it improves.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm thinking maybe light then for mine. I don't know the species, only that it's a lilly out of my pond so it will grow leaves and flower in non tropical temperatures and survives outside over winter in about 8" of water that ices over. It's in brand new tropica soil so I would think ferts ok. I've about 6x flow and the outflow is the opposite end, it's also protected behind some rocks so very low flow area. But, I've turned my lights down to help with algae and I've some other floaters that hoover over that area. I want it to put out some floating leaves to shade the area below and then I can up the light without growing algae. I will try clearing around it and upping the light see if that helps.

changes leaf anatomy addapted to life in high flow invironment.
I have observed Nuphar lutea growing in shallow fast mill leats with submerged leaves only. Current too strong for floating leaves. Floating leaves only present in slack water. I assume that the plant was stressed but was growing strongly.

PS What is the plant in the above tank with narrow floating leaves which appear blueish-green in colour.

Back