• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

can i have a decent planted tank with lots of fish?

cichlidlover

hi folks,
i will soon be buying a 240ltr tank that i want to set up with co2 and good lighting and substrate from the start. ( my 125 is 90% planted with crypts )
my question is, can i have a well planted tank and have lots of fish at the same time ( not over stocked, but does include a few plecs!) as i have read that you should only stock a planted tank very lightly.
any ideas thanks.

cichlidlover said:
... i have read that you should only stock a planted tank very lightly...
Hi,
I'm pretty sure that Moses was not instructed to follow that rule during his session with The Burning Bush. There is no limit to the number of fish you can have in a planted tank. That was never a criterion of success...Ever.

Have as many fish as you want. On the other hand, it wouldn't be smart to have a lot of fish that are known to be plant eaters in the tank...

Cheers,

Hi I have a 260 l tank that is heavily planted and has a good stock load as well. As Clive suggests there is no limit to stock as long as you have the correct filtration and good house keeping to control the waste build up. Regularly clean the gravel to remove mulm build up and keep the filters clean. More fish more housekeeping!!!!!!!

thanks guys,
i really want to make a go of this tank and make a really attractive tank ( my 125 is on PPK readers tanks...if they ever get it back!!) and want to use co2 etc. the tank i have now is 90% with cryps and a african lilly, and although i only use liquid carbon the lilly looks very impressive, although i always seem to be pruning leaves on the cryps!
all i really wanted to know is it ok having a plant substrate with corys and suckermouth catfish ( i use tetra at mo but it is covered with fine quartz gravel ) or would they upset it to much?

thanks

mark

ps; sorry for putting this thread in the wrong place :?

Back