• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can I use my water ?

mark.lambert5

Hi All
coming back to aquarium ownership after visiting Dave at Aquarium Gardens in Huntington and watching/reading many videos articles.
Not a total newbie ! But things are more developed now .
Past History
Basic mixed fish tanks, moving through to Oscars only that breed, mixed Chichlid tanks and lastly a few marine tanks.
having purchased my wife a terrarium for Xmas we are now at a place about to commit to a 90 x 45 x45 scrapers tank , co2 good lighting etc.
What I’m unsure about is our water quality we are on a bore hole and the water goes through carbon filters iron removal media (as it’s high) and uv and a softener
I do have access to outside taps that only have the carbon and iron removal .
what I’d like guidance for am I right in thinking the softened water will be bad for the aquarium , but will the outside tap water be ok .
ill add the laboratory water test results from last year for reference.
thank you to anyone who can help in advance
kindest Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0089.png
    IMG_0089.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0090.png
    IMG_0090.png
    513.3 KB · Views: 43
Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.

The simple answer is that you can use your outside tap water.

It <"limits the plants you can grow"> (and fish you can keep), but a <"lot of members"> have <"fantastic tanks with hard water"> and it does open the possibility of keeping <"Tanganyikan cichlids">, fancy snails etc.
What I’m unsure about is our water quality we are on a bore hole and the water goes through carbon filters iron removal media (as it’s high) and uv and a softener
I do have access to outside taps that only have the carbon and iron removal .
I live in the Cotswolds, (Corsham, Wilts) and have very similar tap water to you (from a deep limestone aquifer) and a <"water softened supply for the house">.

You are right, you can't use the softened water, the ion exchange unit swaps <"two sodium ion (Na+) for each calcium ion (Ca++)"> which is why you have 190 mg / L (ppm) sodium. It is strong acid ion exchange, so you still have the same amount of alkalinity (dKH, HCO3- ions) but, rather <"than as insoluble CaCO3">, you have soluble sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) and no scale on showers etc.

Would rain-water collection be an option for you?

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel
thank you for your swift and informative reply .
Thought that might be the case ,
Rainwater is difficult , I used to get Ro from my local Maidenhead Aquatics could I use that ? Would I need to add minerals etc.
Failing that off to a family member to fill from there mains supply !
cheers Mark

So something like Seachem Equilibrium to bring up dkh to around 5-6?
and something like Seachem Flourish to give trace elements /nutrients for the plants .
what a pain but achievable?

Not ideal… see this thread:

You’re better off mixing RO with tap, or buying the salts needed to remineralise. I use magnesium sulfate and calcium sulfate for GH, and a little potassium bicarbonate for 0.5 dKH.

Hi all,
I used to get Ro from my local Maidenhead Aquatics
Yes, but you could try <"SpotlessWater"> (two options in Gloucester - GL2 5EA or GL1 5SG), a few members use them and <"they are cheap">.
So something like Seachem Equilibrium to bring up dkh to around 5-6?
Not ideal… see this thread:

You’re better off mixing RO with tap, or buying the salts needed to remineralise. I use magnesium sulfate and calcium sulfate for GH, and a little potassium bicarbonate for 0.5 dKH.
What @hypnogogia (and links say), you can remineralise your water with <"a splash of tap water">, it supplies 1 :1 dGH : dKH. and you only need a minimal <"amount of alkalinity"> (also referred to as carbonate hardness or dKH).

<"Unscrupulous vendors"> will tell you you need to <"add dKH to stabilise pH"> and that <"remineralisers"> and "fertilisers" are different products, and you can't equate the magnesium ions (Mg++) from your remineraliser with the Mg++ ions from your fertiliser, <"but they lie">.
and something like Seachem Flourish to give trace elements /nutrients for the plants .
You will need a <"complete fertiliser">. Some people will dose regularly, others will use a "just in time" philosophy. Have a look at <"What is the “Duckweed Index” all about?"> it is a long read, but worth it (I may not be an entirely unbiased commentator).

In terms of fertiliser, some of us have been using <"Solufeed"> - <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">, although there are (more expensive) complete <"aquarium fertilisers available">.
There aren't really <"Aquarium fertilisers">, these are just fertilisers with the magic word <"Aquarium"> added, but if you did want to buy an Aquarium one? Then there are options that work, the problem is <"just the cost">. If I was going down this route <"TNC Complete?">

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back