• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

can this remove plant waste?

There is no connection between phosphate levels and algae....you have been sucked in by the Matrix to believe this, especially by shops who will sell you phosphate remover. I had a pump failure and pumped 1litre of double strength EI solution into my 180litre tank giving phosphate levels of 80ppm. Nothing happened...fish swam and fed, plants just there...no algae zilch, zero in the couple of days this level of phosphate was present.

That's also what internet is for :) "make believe" that's where i did read it somewhere about algea prevention. waist and phosphate levels. :) Thanks for correcting that..

That's also what internet is for :) "make believe" that's where i did read it somewhere about algea prevention. waist and phosphate levels. :) Thanks for correcting that..
Waste will cause algae, phosphate won't.

Phosphate gets such a bad name from excess phosphate from fertiliser run off causing algae blooms in lakes. Again this is not quite true. A farmer adds (too much) fertiliser to field, plants have a wonderful time and leach acid into soil in order to access insoluble phosphate in the soil. This now soluble phosphate (from the soil) runs into rivers and lakes. In UK, in non polluted areas, not a problem as the phosphate does cause algae to grow, but is kept in check by organisms further up the food chain and is basically scoffed, result no a lot visible happens. In the US lakes (and in China), where algae blooms are very common, the water is polluted by industry and the next set of organisms up from algae do not exist, thus algae grows un checked.

The fun part is, i believe it was a site with title something like aquarium expert i found in my search for info about hair algea.. :)
Than the expert writes an article about how to deal with and prevent algea growth.. And somehow the self proclaimed expert is misinformed as well and makes other poeple do things that actualy wont do good nor harm.

Isn't it so that the biochemistry of the water in uor tanks can be a very complex chain of different formes of cycles. Where i little bit more of this can trigger a little more of that. For expample i read that people use Vodka to succesfully fight cyanobacteria in their tank, and recomend others to do a treatment with this. Now recently i used a in Ethanonol deluted medication for some fish and 3hours later i see my water turnig milky and 2 days later i get i uge diatoma and hair algea explosion i've never seen before. I looked it up and did find topics where people experienced about the same effect with putting alcohol in the tank.

I come to believe that a lot of these theories are developped by a sertain amount of chance with just having the right cocktail in the tank. That if the cocktail is slightly different it can trigger a totaly other chain of events to the contrary of what is believed. :)

It only makes it more interesting actualy..

Back