• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can too much ferts cause cloudy water?

W1368

A long ongoing battle I've had with my tank for a while.

Every now and again I seem to experience what seems to be bacterial blooms. Yet the number of fish in the tank is minimal, I have a Juvel 125 using the internal filter but this is rammed up with bio media and also using an upgraded 1000 pump.

This cloudy water has come back (its a very slight hint of grey). The only recent change was trimming the plants.

I'm using EI ferts but have not adjusted the doesage since trimming. Would it be at all possible that overdosing can be causing this?

The general health of the fish is great, amonnia and nitrite has always been undectable.

The only algae I experience is brown/hair algae on the lower leaves of old growth - but I beleive that may be down to the fact I'm only using T8s.

I'm aware the filtraction should really be improved (holiday fund holding me back) but it is very frustrating when I see similar tanks in stores with crystal clear water.

Hi
I dont think its your ferts.
You could remove some of the media from the filter to improve flow.
Add some filter floss.
Another little trick I use on my mini pumps is cut a piece of filter pad and place it over the intake of the pump.
This does 3 things
I. It stops your Impellor and grill on the pump getting clogged up.
2.It filters your water.
3. Acts as mini biological filter.
When the pump starts to slow you know your pad needs a rinse out.
Cheers
hoggie

Hi, how long has your tank been set up? Is it a new setup? If you have disturbed the substrate then this can sometimes make the water cloudy. It could also be possible that your ferts are not good quality. What is the stocking level of fish like?

Hi,

I have:
1 x rainbow
2 x rummy nose tetras
3 x penquin tentras
3 x black widows,

The tank has been active for nearly 6 years but has not been properly maintained until around a year ago.

The salts I got from aquariumplantfood.co.uk - their EI starter package.

It's definitely not the salts mate so rule that one out. If it was, nearly everyone on here would be suffering similar..
Apf supplies high quality salts and wouldnt let them go if they did that. You could possibly just be getting a random bacterial bloom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

After yesterdays maintenance I've already seen improvement.

As hogan53 pointed out about flow, I've been using a lot of filter floss within the inter internal filter, I've reduced this.

I also had a small peace of bogwood, on the reverse side it was covered in what seemed like a whiteish type of algae. When a took this out of the tank to easily clean the algae, the wood split in that area and the whole thing felt very spongy and started falling apart - its now in the bin.

If any of the above is related I had seen improvements within a few hours - I hope this lasts for the next few days. I'll keep an eye on the reduced floss.

i have been having cloudy water during the setting up of my co2 and fertilizer regime. Added a bag of purigen last week and now the water is so clear and crisp. Almost like the water has been removed. I am astonished.

even the lighting looks to be twice as intense at the substrate.

Back