• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can you help me with my dosing quantities?

Paul195

Hi

I have bought some K2SO4 and chelated iron (13.2%) dry salts which I need to dose into my mid-tech tank.

tank details:-
200L
Lighting__ 1x 58W T8 (1.35WPG)
Fertiliser__AE Neutro T (micro's only)
Liquid C02__AE Neutro C02
Medium-high planting density
Medium-high stocking levels

My plants have a deficiency of either K or Fe or both, but I don't know how to work out a dosing schedule - I have looked around the net but have ended up very confused!

A few questions I have :
  • I want to try and keep water changes to once a fortnight, so I don't want to add too much excess of ferts (which I believe is the idea with EI). Do I have to use a test kit to find out how much of the K and Fe are being used or can I just put in a satisfactory amount (based on EI for mid-tech?) and then do a fortnightly water change ?
  • How can I work out the correct PPM values (for my tank) and the correct amount of dry salts to add ? - I have bought measuring spoons which are labelled smidgen,pinch,dash, & tad.
  • Can I add these striaght to the tank?
Many thanks

Paul

I think you need to read more on EI dosing methods. I would also consider buying all of the nutrients your plants need for growth, rather than the ones you think they might be deficient in.

EI dosing incorporates all of the nutrients your plants need for healthy growth, and the method states that you should dose them at levels higher than your flora are ever likely to need, thus preventing any possibility if deficiency and the resulting stunted growth. The salts can be added directly to the tank; they dissolve very quickly, and pose no harm to your livestock.

What syptoms are your plants showing?

I bought the K & Fe because my N is in the desired range through the nitrogen cycle, my tap water contains 2.5ppm of P and all micro's are dosed in the neutro T liquid. I bought the chelated iron to supplement the neutro T liquid in case the iron levels were not sufficient.

The reason I want to keep the water change frequency low is because it was supposed to be a low-tech, low maintenance tank, but it is morphing into a high-tech tank in my quest to keep my plants healthy i.e adding liquid C02 and the talk of daily dosing routines which wasn't the goal at the start - part of the learning curve that everyone must go through I suppose.

I will do a 50% water change each week from now on, but at the moment I would like to go ahead and dose the nutrients that I have bought to see if my plants perk up, but still unsure about the first two questions above and quantities etc

Paul

Back