• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can you identify this plant please

Frenchi

Hi
I was given this plant about 3 week ago, my local fish shop gave it me as they was throwing them .. Basically they was dead no leaves just a little brown bulb ..
It's the long ones at the back of the tank ?

579b54b7a733710e036e362dbcd58952.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.. It seems easy to grow anyway.. I was looking to source some more that's all ...

Hi all,
Definitely an Aponogeton, after that it is "pick a name". Both Aponogeton longiplumulosus and A. crispus have a long petiole, like your plant, so it is likely to be one or the other. "Mick.Dk" may know which one it is.
Unless they can be split
Propagation is by seed, or "careful division" of the rhizome. I tried dividing one, but killed it.

It should eventually flower, when A. longiplumosus has a purple flower, A crispus is white. I've got A. crispus type plant which flowers and sets seed. They germinate pretty well, but I've never got any further with them.

I've got a flowering and "in seed" one at the moment so I may have a bit more of a go with the seed from that.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Definitely an Aponogeton, after that it is "pick a name". Both Aponogeton longiplumulosus and A. crispus have a long petiole, like your plant, so it is likely to be one or the other. "Mick.Dk" may know which one it is. Propagation is by seed, or "careful division" of the rhizome. I tried dividing one, but killed it.

It should eventually flower, when A. longiplumosus has a purple flower, A crispus is white. I've got A. crispus type plant which flowers and sets seed. They germinate pretty well, but I've never got any further with them.

I've got a flowering and "in seed" one at the moment so I may have a bit more of a go with the seed from that.

cheers Darrel
That's good to know thanks .. I will sit back and watch it develop then .. It really seems to be doing well

Some of this species are said to go dormant at certain times of the year but I believe Crispus is the exception.?
I bought some bulbs said to be crispus but they did not takeand so after a month,I tossed them.

Hi all,
Some of this species are said to go dormant at certain times of the year but I believe Crispus is the exception?
I think mine have always had leaves since I bought them.

They were an impulse purchase, as an unlabelled pot from "Pets at Home" or similar, and when I got the pot home it had several plants in it, but none with an obvious "bulb" (so presumably tissue cultured).

I planted all of them, but soon found out they grow fairly large (you can see one at the front right of the image below, from about 21/2 years ago), and I gave 3 or 4 of them away, just leaving the one that I still have.

dicrossus_female1.jpg

cheers Darrel

Plant could be the 2 allready mentioned - or maybe Apon. capuronii (smaller and way more curled edges of leaves)..... most likely Apon. crispus, though.

Apon. crispus have consideably less bulb, than most other Apon.s - but there is a little bit. This seem logical, since it doesn't really need to go dormant, like most others. That said, I've had several other species growing continuously on for years, without dormancy.

Apon. crispus is well known for free flowering and capability of producing new plants, even without help. Often the seedlings just show up here and there. A somewhat rich substrate promotes seedlings to survive, and grown plants to develop, too (root-tab.s really boost Apon.s - they're hungry plants).

In good conditions Apon. crispus actually grow quite large (though no way near Apon. ulvaceus or Apon. boivianus !!). It will tolerate removal of majority of leaves, as well as continuously off-trimming of leaves.

Apon. crispus is quite difficult to "split" - due to the extreemely small bulb.
To successfully "split" those bulbs (actually not "bulbs) you need to ensure there is an active growing point on both parts of a separated bulb, and preferably a decent sized piece of bulb for both new plants.
This is much easier on types with elongated bulbs - ex. Apon. madagascariensis.

To be honest I wish I'd taken a picture now before I planted them .. I just thought they wouldn't do anything as they looked dead .. I did put some iron balls and APF root tabs into the substrate beneath the little bulbs .. They do have a tint of red in them too

I would have put a close up pic on but it won't let me upload for some reason

It's Aponogeton crispus, right - they can show some variation, and red(ish) is common. A very nice and very easy plant to grow.
There's a specific red variety: Aponogeton crispus 'red' that can appear more or less deep purple-red.
Apon. capuronii and Apon. longiplumulosus are usually quite darker green colour.

It's Aponogeton crispus, right - they can show some variation, and red(ish) is common. A very nice and very easy plant to grow.
There's a specific red variety: Aponogeton crispus 'red' that can appear more or less deep purple-red.
Apon. capuronii and Apon. longiplumulosus are usually quite darker green colour.
Great thanks .. It is looking very nice .. Will be stunning when it gets on a bit (hopefully)

Hi all,
Mick. You said that they're not bulbs. Are they corms? Or stolons? Or just big fat stems? I've not seen them, so am interested as a terrestrial gardener.
I can do this one.

A true bulb consists of a very short stem (usually just basal plate) with swollen leaf bases acting as the storage organ.
bulb_9.1.3.png

The bulb can be "tunicate", with the outer leaf bases forming a dry papery covering (like an Onion, pictured), or just loose scales like a Lily or Fritillary.

All the other structures structures which aren't true "bulbs" are modified thickened stems or roots. These include corms, tubers, rhizomes and pseudobulbs.

Potato is a stem tuber, Sweet potato a root tuber, orchids have pseudobulbs, and plants like Crocus a corm.

I think Aponogeton crispus forms a stem tuber, although if a stem tuber is elongated it becomes a "rhizome".

There is a really good description and pictures here: <"Pacific Bulb Society: Aponogeton">.

cheers Darrel

Back