• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Canon PowerShot SX170 for £90

EnderUK

Argos has this on sale at the minute. It would be an upgrade to my samsung compact but not a full SLR. I don't know much about camras or photoraphy so was wondering if this would be a good camara to learn fundementals with rather than throwing down money on a full SLR only to not end up using it. The other option is the Polaroid IS2132 at £100.

If you are not likely to want to use a DSLR in the future, then stick with a compact like the powershot. If you aren't going to be learning how to shoot in manual, for which a DSLR would be far better to learn with, just make sure the compact you have has Aperture Priority mode, and ignore pretty much everything else.
It is worth noting that the Canon's while good are over-priced because of the name. But 90 sounds alright in this instance. I certainly wouldn't pay £100 for a polaroid though. Far better to get a cheaper Fuji or similar. You mostly pay for the name with compacts.

How about some of the bridge models, that might be a better idea for around £50 more. I'm not ruling out DSLR in the future but not will to throw down £300 just yet. Ill look at some fo the Fuji models and make sure it has Aperture Priority mode. I've reserved the powershot for now and see if I can find something better. Cheers.

Think I'm settling on the Fujifilm FinePix S4800, it has PASM it's got okay reviews the bad points seem to be the AA batteries and lack of veiw finder but all the camaras in this price range seem to lack those.

I'm amazed that doesn't use a rechargeable lithium battery, but fair enough. Seems like a nice little camera.

Back