Carnivorous Plants

Discussion in 'Off Topic / Chit-Chat' started by dean, 28 Jan 2013.

1. dean

dean Member

Hi has anyone got experience or tips for the above, I want to try a Venus fly trap, could it be kept emersed in a soap dish thing

2. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Member

Although I dont have any VFT's I am slowly gonna start getting into carniverous plants more. They're generally kept in a 50/50 peat sand mixture and they need a winter dormancy :)

3. killi69

killi69 Member

I used to keep some (in pots outside). From what I remember, they will only thrive in places with very low nutrients, which is why they have developed ability to catch insects for food. As a houseplant, it is only meant to be given rainwater, so i imagine there is a risk that tank water might be too rich in nutrients, especially if you add ferts. That is if its roots can absorb water from the tank. But if it gets its moisture from humidity/ you giving it rain/RO water, it might well work. I might be wrong though, see what others think as well.

4. scapegoat

scapegoat Member

I've got a nice Nepenthes on my window sill, not sure of the exact variety but only cost me £1.50 from a carboot. I'll chuck up a pic when I upload a load tomorrow.

Killi69 is right about nutrients, I water mine with rain water and if I use tank water (which I use on the rest of my plants) it seems to suffer

5. scapegoat

scapegoat Member

Mind you Nepenthes and Venus fly trap are totally unrelated plants

6. dean

dean Member

Ok so one not to grow emersed, still find them intetesting and will get something when I find them at a decent price, finding these and house plants locally seems to be getting harder

7. dean

dean Member

Bought some today from garden centre in the discounted section £1 each :) will put up some pics soon but all look like species of pitcher plants

8. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Global Moderator Staff Member

Venus Flytraps are back in stock at IKEA...

[​IMG]
    by Tim Harrison, on Flickr

dw1305 and zozo like this.
  9. zozo

zozo Member

At this time of year?. Interesting. In the regular garden centres, they all ran out of carnivore stock over a month ago.