• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpet Plant Recommendation!

andyniceday

Hi,

Tank specifications - 240l
Lighting - 2x40w T8
CO2 - Pressurised FE, drop checker showing correct colour yellow/green
Filtration - ext filter 1000l/h, koralia 1500l/h
Fertilisation routine - will be dosing TPN+
Substrate - Plain black fine gravel

Was hoping for some recommendations on which carpet plant to go for with my setup. Its a standard Fluval Roma 240 aquarium and im going for an iwagumi style scape. I'm ideally looking for something not too demanding, easy to grow. So theres hairgrass, glosso, Riccia etc. I Just want the carpet effect with as little hassle as possible! :D

Thanks!

Hey Andy,

I think that with your lighting you would probably have the most sucessful growth with the ricca all you've got to do is tie it so some flat rocks let it grow and trim it. The other otion is the Hair grass, it really is a nice plant and I have succefuly grown it under T8 Lighting but I was using 4 tubes and once it get going it really spreads well and a good trim regularly will promote growth. Lastly I think the glosso need a good ammount of light to carpet otherwise it grows upward, maybe not a suitable choice for what your after.

Hopes this helps mate, I'm just speaking from experiance.

Vito

thanks vito,

i was leaning towards hairgrass myself after some more research. think i will go with that :)

What I have done was mix marsilea hirsuta, lilaeopsis brasiliensis and hairgrass. The mixture of the plants have created such a thick carpet, they all support eachother and compete for floorspace. They are easy to maintain and easy to trim.

Crazy mix, but it works.

Back