• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cat litter

I hadn't really looked out for it until I read this topic, and then I checked while I was in today.
Ah well. :p

Is this a daft idea?

About a month or so ago I decided to rip apart a 60 litre tank and try Kitty litter. I thought I would try a med light, co2, Ei dosed tank in a purely inert substrate. I am now having second thoughts, so what about this for an idea. I freeze cubes of john innes no3 and then place them deep under the kitty litter........

should I be prepared for an ammonia spike? is this sensible at all? Is there a better way of achieving the same result?

cheers.

You can use Osmocote capsules lightly scattered underneath the cat litter. Your plants will do exceedingly well assuming you get the CO2 and dosing right.

Hi all, new guy here to the forum and planted tanks and i was wondering if this product, " miracle-gro all purpose continuous release plant food " ( sorry would not let me link it ) , would be ok for placing under the cat litter . also how much of it should i place under the cat litter in a tank 5x2 ? thanks for any replies

i have been running cat litter substrate for nearly two years now and my
plants are growing well still i use a small amount of co2 and that is all the
ferts i use i was told that cat litter was hi in iron and is good for sustaining plant
growth

How long did it take you to rinse 5 bags Alastair? Just in the process of rinsing cat litter for a 5ft tank.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

How long did it take you to rinse 5 bags Alastair? Just in the process of rinsing cat litter for a 5ft tank.

If you're using that much, you'd be better off getting the small grain moler clay from a bonsai supplier, then you only need to rinse the dust out of it. For the small difference in price you'll save yourself a lot of hassle. I found it far better to rinse in small amounts in a sieve, otherwise you'll be breaking the grains up as you swirl it around.

Im using a bucket in tje sink, far to cold outside lol. Im adding roughly 2l of cat litter, filling and mixing 5-6 times bwfore adding to the tank. The water runs pretty clear. Was just unsure on the scent. Cant smell it even from the bag.

Just thought I'd update on my cat litter aquarium.

Took the plunge in 2009 and it's still in there ! Fish still fine, plants fine. It doesn't seem to have disintegrated too much if at all.

I am sick of the colour of it though. I really wish it came in a really deep dark colour, brown/black preferably But that's another post ☺

Back