• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

chamaedorea elegans - parlour palm help

Akhmaat

Hello, I am very new to the hobby, and I need your help. I bought a "mistery" set of plants for my freshwater tank, and I got some chamaedorea elegans. I've tried to do some research online, but somewhere they says it's possible to grow in an aquarium, some other places say that will day in a couple of week and it's not an aquarium plant (as I suspect). Anybody here have any experience and could help? Thanks :)

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.
some other places say that will day in a couple of week and it's not an aquarium plant (as I suspect)
Your suspicions are right, <"definitely not an aquarium plant">. A few people have <"grown it as terrarium plant">, and it is fine as house plant.
These are @sciencefiction 's plants.

pic5-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Thanks! as terrrarium you mean can grow with its root in water? Sorry I checked the pictures and I am not sure :D

Chamaedorea elegans will certainly be very dead if planted underwater in an aquarium, but it makes an excellent houseplant. It is usually sold in the mass market with many seedlings in a pot to create a more bushy appearance. But for growing long term these seedlings should be separated with each planted in its own individual small 3" pot. Given time with average potted houseplant care (moderate moisture, good drainage, air circulation, bright indirect light, occasional light fertilization) the little palm will grow larger fronds and eventually develop a palm trunk. We have had one in a pot for more than 20 years. It has slowly grown a 24" trunk and it is my favorite out of all of our houseplants.

Back