• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Cheap" 60F

robinj

I was inspired by those shallow pond tanks since last year and I wanted sth similar. I decided to make it when I saw Tropictank channel video. I tried to keep it low ball, so far I have spend under 170 £ (excluding old stand).
I used floodlight a created my own light fixture which allows me to change light height.
I am using 5x 10W 6000K and 4500K floodlight with 850 lumens. I used more weaker ones as a way how to possibly reduce the light.
DIY CO2 acid and soda, but it doesnt last than a week, so might buy another CO2 set

IzGTBpB.jpg

Planting:
phcU8xD.jpg

After 1st week:
qqsgkby.jpg

r02JQm0.jpg

Last edited:
PLANTS: Eleocharis, Ludwigia palustris & glandulosa, Pogostemon helferi & erectus, Rotala H'ra & Rotundifolia & Orange sth, Myriophylum, Althernatera reineckii mini, Bacopa caroliniana
Also, today is the first day when that cheap Sunsun HOB doesnt rattle. :wave:

Wouldnt bother with DIY Co2, to much hassle. Pressurised system all the way. Tank has been done really well, like the beach area. What you planning to stock in there?. Judging by the foam around the intake, I'm assuming your having shrimp too.

Wouldnt bother with DIY Co2, to much hassle. Pressurised system all the way. Tank has been done really well, like the beach area. What you planning to stock in there?. Judging by the foam around the intake, I'm assuming your having shrimp too.
Thanks. So far I will see. I already have one pressurized co2 set, I am considering dividing the gas or buying a new set as having 2 independent could be better, but more expensive.
I had to cut the aquaclear intake as it was too long and I wanted to put sth on the end. Also, prefilters reallly shortens the cleaning and no mess will get into impeller. I would like to try shrimps mainly for maintenance help. Beach was just an idea to try, I'm not good at designing tanks.

Nice :) This is a shape I'd love to try one day. This is a video I found the other day.

Thanks for appreciation! Yeah I saw that video too. But I wanted to avoid hardscape, just plants. Though I inspired there which plants choose and light intensity. So far I'm curious how my rotala h'ra will look.

Update:
Got a stuff and connected my 60F to my pressurized CO2. However, this week I run off gas and can't refill cause coronavirus outbreak.
Luckily, I have some spare bottles of "liquid CO2", as they were recently 2+1 free. So, I'm dosing 2 squirts every day.
Sadly, I can see BGA there in my tank. Just a little bit, but its there. Maybe as I transported one plant from 30C to 60F.
It got pretty jungle style, plants are doing well. Let's see how it goes without proper co2...
Also, I regret getting Aquaclear HOB. I should spent money on canister filter cause flow. I bought Eheim skimmer and it helped with flow and surface cleanness, but still, Aquaclear is that weak flow on surface.

So, soon it will be 3 months old tank and it's doing very fine.
Estimative Index saved my aquarium hobby. Seriously. Don't know why there are people opposing it.
In the mean time, I added Sunsun HW-603B. That extra cheap filter. Not bad though. It's silent, moving the water in the back...

Attachments

• 60F.jpg
    60F.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 208
So, soon it will be 3 months old tank and it's doing very fine.
Estimative Index saved my aquarium hobby. Seriously. Don't know why there are people opposing it.
In the mean time, I added Sunsun HW-603B. That extra cheap filter. Not bad though. It's silent, moving the water in the back...

more picture please!!
any fish in there also?

Hello.Congratulations on a great aquarium.Sunsun HW-603B is like Pondsolution EF - 150 is not the same?:rolleyes::)

more picture please!!
any fish in there also?
More pictures of this! Looks amazing from above!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't expect such an interest. Thank you much! I suck at making pictures but I tried my best. Also if you have any questions just asked me anything.
DSC00005.JPG DSC00006.JPG DSC00017.JPG DSC00018.JPG DSC00019.JPG DSC00023.JPG DSC00028.JPG

Long time no see. I made stupid decision and cut a lot of that jungle. Changed some plants and since then I was struggling with algae. Lots of light, small plants mass = algae. At least for me. That was during whole summer. I made some changes, I wanted to have less stem plants and more of that low-growing plants. I had those brown slime threads and of course cyano. I made another rescape just a month or two ago. I got back some stem plants, decided to go jungle style again as the tank looks the best that way and it just prospers.
Also, I discovered that less light is sometimes more. After having 50W of LED light, I have just 20W now. And I have steady growth too. Dosing EI regularly. I also got the CO2 inline difusor. I previously had it but destroyed it once... I was unable to achieve good CO2 levels just with in-tank difusor. The height of tank is really limiting here. That also improved the results a lot. Another my experience is that sand is better for growing tiny plants. Eleocharis I planted several months ago basically grew predominantly in the sand, although I planted it into soil. I think the soil particle size matters a lot here. So, I replaced the soil on the left side with sand too during last rescape.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 184
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 183
How have you found growing the Glossostigma? I'm looking for a low growing foreground plant.

Back