• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

check your diffuser for gas leaks (Qanvee M2)

erwin123

My Qanvee M2 is about 18 months old and I had to replace the ceramic insert.

I think the rubber seals/o-rings have degraded so that when I installed the ceramic insert and tightened the M2 with what I felt was the 'normal' amount -i.e. no water leak detected after an hour, it turns out that some CO2 could still escape.

This doesn't mean there is 0 CO2 mist appearing, just that much less mist was appearing and I had to turn the bubble count way up to get the same amount of CO2 mist. Fortunately, since I had a reference for what the correct bubble count could be, I started hunting for leaks with soap foam and found the minute leak at the Qanvee diffuser due to improper tightening. Water wasn't getting out, but gas was.

A bit of extra tightening helped but it is a signal that I need to replace the O-rings soon.

When I hear of small aquariums doing incredible amounts of bps for their Co2, I think that its good to check everywhere for gas leaks - even if there is no evidence of water leakage, and to consider replacing the O-rings regularly.

O rings are O rings, I can't see them being anything special.
O rings come in a variety of sizes. Diameter & thickness of the O ring are the main measurments. A lot of canister filters have large ones to seal the top, & bucket parts, and "branded" O rings can cost several times more than an identical unbranded one, O rings are available in many sizes on ebay, aliexpress, amazon, etc. Best to have spares on hand so you don't have to wait for delivery.

O rings tend to crack, & become brittle with time, & if you take joints apart frequently they can be easily damaged, Silicone grease is a good non toxic lubricant, (I guess any food grade grease / lubricant would also work). I see a lot at work that are used in hydraulic systems, think hot oil & 100 bar pressure, they usually last about 1-2 years, but if we disturb them we replace them as a matter of course.

they usually last about 1-2 years, but if we disturb them we replace them as a matter of course.
Yup I think that was the issue. For CO2 diffusers, you have to clean them regularly so this means that the O rings are disturbed regularly.

I managed to find O rings at a local hardware/plumbing shop for cheap so replacing them regularly won't break the bank.

Back