• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chihiros Spiral Glass Skimmer Inlet

Tankless

Has anyone tried this? I had an EA version which broke during cleaning.

I did see a video of the skimmer part spiraling on a green aqua video.

Edit: video link from Green Aqua

Last edited:
any thoughts after using for some time?
It works great although it will only spin if the filter intake is strong enough. I keep my fluval 307 at 60% and it doesn’t spin but it constantly skims the surface and doesn’t stop (I do have the bottle bit completely open to ensure I have adequate flow near the bottom of the tank as well). Probably the best inlet skimmer I’ve used so I would definitely recommend it.

Hi all,
What is the advantage of spinning other than looking cool?
"Looking cool" would be my guess as its main advantage.

It may pull any surface film in more efficiently <"Mechanism Investigation on a Novel Oil Recovery Skimmer Coupling Free Surface Vortex and Cyclone Separation">? and it would slightly increase the gas exchange surface area.

VortexSkimmer.jpg

You would need to make sure the vortex wasn't so strong that it trapped actual air bubbles and sucked them into the filter.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
What is the advantage of spinning other than looking cool?
I find that it pulls in the surface film better. I’ve had the aquascaper glass set and the aquario set where the skimmer is on the outlet. If the Chihiors didn’t work out, I was planning to just use a normal skimmer. From my personal usage, the Chihiros is the best one I’ve used and will probably use for future tanks unless something better comes out.

Back