• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

citric acid and baking soda diy co2

Worshiper

Hi

I am so sorry if this is a repost. I am new to this forum and couldnt find it..
I wanted to know if the citric acid and baking soda diy co2 system works and anybody has tried it?

I am new to planted aquariums so sorry if this is a very basic question..

Thanx

It'll work. The basic ingredients ramp up the ongoing price though, so it's not used much.

There's a commercial kit that's based on this system but I've never seen it actually used on anything.

Thanx Drrob..I was considering buying the kit.. but wanted to know if it worked and the cost of running the system. Thanx

Well the yeast systems, technically, get away with being topped up with just sugar. You can salvage the yeast for new cultures.

Although a few extra nutrients don't hurt in the long term if you keep reusing the same yeast.

Yeah I currently use the nutrafin system however havent managed to get a good bps rate..Iv tried a few different propotions etc. But to no avail. I guess its because it gets cold during winter.. I may just have to add an aquarium heater in a bucket to maintain the temp. Thanx for helping out DrRob! Appreciate it! I have been struggling with co2 padt few months..

Anyone know what would the cost of a pressurised system work out to be for a 5.5gal aquarium at 1bps? I guess it would all depend on a lot of things so difficult to estimate???:(

Why not look into easy carbo?

Yeah that seems like a good option OllieNZ:). Definitely the easiest form of co2 thats cheap.. will it work well with forming a good Eleocharis parvula carpet though?​

I think there isn't much you won't grow with it. The only downside is you need to dose it every day. How much light and what ferts are you dosing.

I have 2wpg light, root tabs and the King british plant food (liquid) once every week.

I'd look into ei dosing as you're effectively running a high tech tank and I doubt the liquid fert you're using contains npk

Thanks OllieNZ. I am going to look at EI information on the forum as I have no idea about that:).
You guys in this forum are really helpful people I must say! Thanx!

If you get to the point where you're considering putting the diy mixture into a heated water tank it's time to look at a pressurised co2 system. If you shop around you can pick up a basic set up reasonably cheap.

I may go the sodastream route. Seems more affordable in the long term.

Back