• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning glass (in and out)

idris

Are the magnetic algae scrapers the best way to clean a deep tank. I've got a razor-on-stick type but it's not really up to the job.

And any tips for cleaning the outside of the glass? Especially things like kids hand prints. I don't want to risk using things like window cleaners, either for the sake of the fish, plants or silicone holding the tank together.

I use the green scowering pads that you use in the kitchen. For the glass I use windowlene does the job. I have used it for years with no adverse reactions to the tank or the fish.

For outside I use my photo camera cleaning solution and some microfiber cloth. :)

For inside I use a JBL cleaning glove:
JBL-Aquarium-cleaning-glove2.jpg

and a razor blade where I can't reach with the glove.

My tank is as deep as my arms are long, so the magnetic ones definitely have something in their favour. But if they're not getting any votes I may just take my scuba gear off eBay. :(

clonitza said:
For outside I use my photo camera cleaning solution and some microfiber cloth. :)

For inside I use a JBL cleaning glove:
JBL-Aquarium-cleaning-glove2.jpg

and a razor blade where I can't reach with the glove.

I've just been going through some old posts, and it struck me that these JBL gloves look just like the body scrub / exfoliating gloves that boots sell. Are they the same (cos the Boots one are dirt cheap!)

I use a combination of that body scrub glove (cheap as chips at a pharmacy), a light scouring pad that isn't abrasive enough to scratch the glass (good for tank edges) and a blade attached to a chopstick for areas I can't access. No I don't use the same glove to shower or the same chopstick to eat my noodles with :lol:

For the outside, just regular cloth and water for me. When I wanna shoot photos, I go over it with window cleaner and newspaper :thumbup:

Back