Cleaning plants ?

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by JazzyJeff, 21 May 2009.

1. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

Right finally getting round too stripping my display tank down, got new substrate ( Tropica) and Silica sand was wondering as I have had a snail invasion if there is anyway of disinfecting the plants that are in the tank before I replant them so as too eradicate the little blighters !!!!!!

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Some say a diluted bleach dip (usual 1:20 ratio) for up to 4 mins, but I've never done this. I've heard some have problems with their plants after too, so really one for trying out on a few plants before doing the whole lot!

3. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

bleach weakens the plant and they become suceptible to algae. You could try a copper dip which would be a better option IMO. It will harm shrimp so wash them throuoghly after.

Not sure on what concentrations you need though :bored:

4. baron von bubba

baron von bubba Member

how about adding an assassin snail or two, my lfs sells them and they apparently hunt dont and eat other snails!
    possibly add a loach of some sort (i used chain/dwarf loaches for this, seemed to work and they are so nice i added a few more even tho my snails had gone!!) :0)
    or maybe a dwarf puffer (altho its said the latter can be a tad nippy with other fish)

i asked about bleaching plants before and was advised quite strongly against it!

5. rawr

rawr Member

I wouldn't recommend using bleach to be honest, it just seems a bit problematic.

As suggested, you could use a few Assassin Snails.

However, what I would recommend is giving the plants a good wash under the tap or in a bucket of water, wash out all the roots, nooks and crannies. Also give the tank and hardscape a good scrub and that should give you a good chance of getting rid.

6. Garuf

Garuf Member

Gas um. Snails are a side effect of over feeding so revise your feeding and see how you go.