• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Clip on LED Light for Low Tech Tank

REDSTEVEO

Very soon I will be removing most if not all the plants in my tank, and changing the substrate from the JBL Sansibar White Coarse gravel to a natural sand.

I might be leaving a few of the smaller Cryptocoryne species in and some moss on wood slightly emerged.

The reason for this is because I want to create a more natural Amazon Black Water Biotope for my Manacupura Red Backed Angel Fish. A sandy bottom with leaves and branches, palm leaves, botanicals etc

I will be removing the Fluval Fresh Plant LED 3.0 and the original Eheim T5 x 2 Light unit as they are too bright. My CO2 system will be discontinued, and no fertilisers, so really going low tech.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a single Clip on type LED, not too bright, and with a narrow central beam, sort of cone shape to illuminate the centre section of the tank only, leaving a darker area to the left and right of a 1m 30cm 400 litre tank. Preferably not an orange coloured light.

I would be grateful if anyone has a suggestion and any photographs of a tank setup similar to what I have described. Also any recommendations on the sand I could use.

Links to suggested lights would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Very soon I will be removing most if not all the plants in my tank, and changing the substrate from the JBL Sansibar White Coarse gravel to a natural sand.

I might be leaving a few of the smaller Cryptocoryne species in and some moss on wood slightly emerged.

The reason for this is because I want to create a more natural Amazon Black Water Biotope for my Manacupura Red Backed Angel Fish. A sandy bottom with leaves and branches, palm leaves, botanicals etc

I will be removing the Fluval Fresh Plant LED 3.0 and the original Eheim T5 x 2 Light unit as they are too bright. My CO2 system will be discontinued, and no fertilisers, so really going low tech.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a single Clip on type LED, not too bright, and with a narrow central beam, sort of cone shape to illuminate the centre section of the tank only, leaving a darker area to the left and right of a 1m 30cm 400 litre tank. Preferably not an orange coloured light.

I would be grateful if anyone has a suggestion and any photographs of a tank setup similar to what I have described. Also any recommendations on the sand I could use.

Links to suggested lights would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
Rimless or rimmed?
Anyway Kessil and Lominie are 2brands that are built "spotlight" like.

Rimless or rimmed?
It has glass reinforcement braces all around the edges if thats what you mean by rimmed. But right in the centre at the back is a weir where I would mount the light unit.

See photo below of the tank empty. You can see the weir.
20231105_132835.jpg

Thanks.
Screenshot_20231102_152402_Chrome.jpg

Rimless or rimmed?
I think those might be a bit too bright for what I am tying to achieve, and a tad expensive 😅

Hi all,
This is what I'm aiming for.
<"Nice">.
and the original Eheim T5 x 2 Light unit
I'd just carry on with the Eheim light unit, but use a floating plant as a <"net curtain">. If you want a "biotope appropriate" one Pistia stratiotes grows in a lot of the small igarapes etc. anywhere there is enough light.
I think those might be a bit too bright for what I am tying to achieve, and a tad expensive
How about a 20W daylight COB security light <"https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/hk-lb301a/led-floodlight-cob-20w-ip65/dp/LP07811"> on a gooseneck stand <"Kessil Gooseneck"> - <"Light mount">?

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Well I took out the original Eheim Twin T5 Light Unit, left the Fluval Fresh Plant Pro 3.0 above the tank on a very low light setting.

But the light I decided on and bought is a Fluval Plant Nano from the Abyss Aquatic Warehouse in Stockport. I looked at many others, but went for this based on build quality, design, and overall appearance. And as it happens it fits perfectly under the glass covers.

And it is fully adjustable using the same App on my phone as the Fluval Fresh Plant Pro 3.0.

I'm very happy with the effect it gives with a more central light through the middle of the tank.

20231119_182728.jpg
20231119_182554.jpg

I've got my new Carbo Root Wood soaking in containers and as soon as it has sunk, all you can see in the tank is coming out, and the new sand substrate, wood and branches are going in.

So in the end it will look something like this.

Screenshot_20231116_102717_Facebook.jpg

Back