• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 dissolving vs high flow rate

dawidmNS

Hi guys

I just noticed very intresting thing. In my rio 180 ive got 1 eheim 2217 and tetratex ex 1200 so flow rate is already good. There are 2 spray bars on the full lenght of back wall and one is just below the other. There is atomier connected to eheim pipe from which work im really happy.

Well, by reading posts on ukaps and how important flow rate is I added Koralia 2 just in the middle below and with same direction us spray bars. Personally i didnt like that flow it was really too strong and by 8h my fish were fighting, it was working like that by 2 weeks, i didnt noticed huge difference, plants growth like always. CO2 checker always green once atomiser was working, once stopped it was always blue after few hours. Then I decided to take out Koralia 2 and see how it goes maybe there is no point for using it. And here is the best part, my green checker is always green, after atomiser stops working its green until next day till atomiser will start working again. Well, for me thats perfect as with hma filter ive got ideal condition to keep discus.

But, im just really intrested how it happens? Whats the reason that with high flow rate co2 lasts only for few h after atomiser stops working.

Regards
Dawid

Hi. I think it depends on how much surface movement you have. The more movement you have, then the co2 dissipates quicker. Also if you run an air stone when lights are out co2 will disappear quite quickly.

Water surface movments always were the same, even when Koralia was running. Also Koralia was running only for 8h once co2 was swtiched on, apart of that time koralia wasnt working. Im not using air pump and other things, just 2 external filters.

So I guess that really high flow rate cause that co2 is dissolving much much quicker. But is it advantage or disadvantage?

Would the higher flow delivery the CO2 to more of the leaves faster. Therefore the plants can take it in quicker with better flow?

Back