• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Distribution and Water Flow

sonicninja

Hi everyone,
I have a blog on this forum (http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/showthread.php?t=105801) but didn't want to flood it with questions when I will probably get better help here.

I have recently started a tank and run into a few early issues with my Limnophila hippuroides which has started melting towards the bottom of each plant. It was suggested to me that I increase the flow to improve CO2 distribution.

I wanted to get suggestions on the placement of my CO2 diffuser and it's relationship to where the new power-head is. I've read both the filter outflow and additional power-head should create flow in the same direction but just wanted to get some initial opinions on how I've set it up. Power-head too high? pointing in the wrong direction? etc.

Any help would be great. As you can see the Hydor Pico 650 is on the right hand side pointing towards the left of the tank and the nozzle is aimed at the glass to push water around the back of the tank towards the atomiser on the left hand side.

Thanks everyone!

56BB606D-0603-4A83-B90B-B6C1A404A608_zpsevt9ngxy.jpg

Hi, your positioning looks ok all pointing in the same direction, my first thought would be to raise the lighting further away from the surface lowering intensity and the plants need for carbon and nutrients especially if this is a new setup with plants trying to adapt to under water life. Are the bubbles from the atomiser hitting the water surface or being pushed all around the tank until they dissolve.

Thanks Tim. Since putting in the powerhead the CO2 is visibly moving to more areas of the tank but I am still getting a quick buildup of bubble on the surface.

Hi,you could try moving the atomiser to just below your power head/out flow so the co2 bubbles get pushed across the back of the tank hit the side wall and come back across the frount of the tank.That way if the flow is sufficent you should get much better co2 coverage.I would also raise the power head to move the surface a bit more in the photo it looks like it is hardly moving(maybe you had the flow off;)).A slight ripple of the surface would be nice.Cheers Mark

So I'm still having issues with this and wondered if anyone else had any suggestions.
The hippuroides eventually died a death and I replanted those areas with Alternanthera reineckii. I'm having similar issues with this plant too and the leaves toward the lower part of the stem are quickly falling off.
The atomizer is now located lower in the tank with the powerhead just above it distributing a healthy amount if CO2 through the tank. I can visibly see CO2 at all levels too.
It's confusing since I was hoping everything would be flourishing given the time and effort I'm giving it. CO2 is plentiful, flow rate is superb, substrate layers are new, EI dosing daily, large water changes weekly, good filtration, liquid carbon added daily. I see tanks at my local fish shop absolutely flourishing with no-where near the attention I'm giving mine.
What on earth am I missing? Surely the plants should be going mental by now? Or do you think I should be more patient and should I expect this with new plants?
As always any help/guidance would be appreciated greatly :)

What intensity are those lights set at? They look like TMC 400 mini's?

Thanks Ruke, appreciate the encouragement :)
They are TMC 400's on a controller. They are currently at 50% each as I didn't want to encourage algae.

Thanks Ruke, appreciate the encouragement :)
They are TMC 400's on a controller. They are currently at 50% each as I didn't want to encourage algae.

I have a 60L tank and the same lights as well, I was advised to turn them down to 20% and it has made a huge difference. I know it doesn't look very bright in there, but have a little faith. I'm growing glosso which is considered to be a high light plant and it's going crazy.

Have a close look at your wood, near the water surface, if you can see anything that looks like BBA starting to grow, this is a sign there is too much light. Also, if you're having to clean the glass from any GDA a few days after you did your last water change, again this is another sign (now that I've turned my lights down, I can go nearly 2 weeks without the slightest tint of green on the glass).

Thanks for the suggestion, how can you tell there is not enough CO2 if I haven't given any figures? While I appreciate the help do you think I should test the CO2 levels before cranking it up and risking the health of the fish? I'll do a full set of water tests today and post them up.

I have trimmed the plants at the top of the tank to increase the light levels penetrating lower. The intensity has been dropped to 25% on each light.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Back