• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2, fertilizers, and shrimp

I've had plenty of shrimp over the years.

CO2 seems to be the biggest issue for them, I've never found ferts for plants to any issue and no one can falsify that, because......they do well and have for several generations and I sell quite a few.
CO2 does not kill them, it does appear to reduce the brood production.

If you are specializing in inbred varieties, that is how they get those varieties mind you..............then you have weak genetics to deal with, this might cause environmental adaptation issues. The temptation to rush a new type to market is high.
To do this correctly, you need to have say 4-5 independent lines, which most breeders will not do. Then the brood will have good genetic health and be healthier, this is also true with fish and Discus, and the like.
The wild types(non inbred) tend to be much stronger and have little issue. So it's rather obvious this is a poor genetics issue, not an environmental issue.

If you want say RCS's, then they are that which cannot be killed.
Higher grade CRS's tend to be a little more touchy.
Shrimp O the month, more touchy.

A good well cycled tank, non CO2 approach, cooler temps, say 21C, reduced water changes, moss and other plants etc...........30-100 liters, best choice overall.

Thanks, this is very useful. In your experience, is the negative effect of co2 independent of the level/quantity? I am guessing that liquid carbon is not a good thing either? I am glad, though, to hear that ferts do not seem to be harmful (I suppose this is true for both micro and macro) as I am considering a low-tech.

Thomas

Back