• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Generator

I am running a CO2 Generator, stainless steel type not pop bottles. This is the easiest for me and cheap. I have to use public transport so fire extinguishers are out. Prior to COVID, I was running CO2 from a 10KG Cylinder that was delivered. It was cheap and good service the problem is it was too big and ugly, living in a flat. I ran low tech for a while but I missed a lot of my plants that need CO2.
I picked up one of these CO2 Generators and overall I am happy with it. The problem comes with flow regulation. It has a small single-stage regulator. When I charge it up the regulator is showing about 4 Bar. As there is no regulator adjustment the only control is with the needle valve. At full pressure this hard t control. As the gas diminishes it becomes a lot easier to control. A better regulator on the SS Cylinder would help.
Question is it possible to connect with a regular regulator?
I am open to any suggestions but please don't suggest things like disposable CO2 cylinders that cost the earth and are bad for the environment.
My location is in Hinckley, Leicester in case someone knows somewhere I don't.
Thanks, Robert....

Thanks for your reply. There are all sorts of adapters. I have just found a "Universal Regulator" intended for brewing. just need to see if the pipe supplies can adapt.
Robert...
A pressurized CO2 cylinder has a pressure of 50-70 bar when full. The pressure in your cylinder is just ~4 bar. If you connect a high pressure CO2 regulator to a low pressure cylinder it will not work. You need a regulator for low pressure CO2 sources.

Hello robert... this totally off your subject of this thread but I was wondering if you could tell me when on you generator did you do a new mixture... this will be my first time refilling it and I am just about at the yellow bar on the gauge and running maybe 2 bps and will be going away for the weekend and just not sure if I should do a mix now or if( rite at the top of the yellow ) have a few more days to a week? Thanks

20230315_192540.jpg

It is a Clscea 2.4L Aquarium CO2 Generator Kit Double Pressurization Enhanced Version(Max for 400g+400g Raw Materials)

I understand that differant tank volumes and situations will vary but was just curious to how long it may last from the point I'm at .. wouldn't want to run out while I'm away so probly should just ditch the rest and start a new batch before I leave

So it’s 40 bar not 4 :)

My has 20 bar capacity and it lasts me round two weeks.

@MrBlobby

From my experience it will not go down on yellow field so it means it’s close to 0 but yours might be different.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the fzone version, which has working and flow pressure gauges. It looks like you can get just the regulator. I generally wait for it to get near the top of the green zone of the working pressure before opening the needle valve and for the flow pressure to be 10psi maybe less before replacing the mix. I don't know how accurate it is but the dual gauge does help with when to replace.

Needs to be re-charged now, when at the yellow marker!
Tip for you..... add some boiling water to the cylinder to soften up the depleted Citric Acid/Bic Soda mixture.
Do this in the sink and leave it for a while, the body of the cylinder will get very hot so be careful.
hoggie

Thank you all so much for the tips and feedback .. so far I am pretty happy with this generator it has lasted me just about 2 months and has been very stable .. I am extremly new to the co2 thing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230316_092019_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230316_092019_Gallery.jpg
    659 KB · Views: 62
Back