• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Glass Diffuser/s placement

stujo

I'm going to run two Eheim Classic 2217 filters in a 44"L 50 gal tank and have placed the spray bars side by side along the back wall of the tank and the outlets in each rear corner of the tank, hopefully to create a circular flow, back wall to front glass, down and then back to the rear wall. I am unsure where to place the glass diffuser. Should I simply place it low down at one end of the tank near one of the filter outlets such that some bubbles may get sucked into the filter outlet and the rest rise up and be blown about by one of the spray bars. My worry is that if this is only at one end of the tank , how will it influence CO2 dispersement at the other end. Is it possible to have a T in my CO2 line and run one diffuser at each end of the tank or are there other better solutions e.g. placing the diffuser low down on the back wall half way along such that it midway between and below each of the spraybars?

Hi,
You'll just have to try different combinations of placements while observing the dropchecker or by taking pH sample readings over a given time period to see what works best. I'd always start by placing the diffuser at the very bottom of the back glass midway between the two spraybars. You'll also need to vary the injection rate. You might also wish to consider inline devices which tend to work much better as tank size increases.

Cheers,

Hi Clive,
Thanks for your reply, this is my first serious attempt at a proper planted tank and I have never used CO2 before. Have just purchased an FE, regulator, solenoid etc. the tutorial on here re setting this all up was invaluable. I am learning all the time. Plants (loads of them) arrive next Thursday, all chosen (hopefully) to suit "moderate" lighting so will then get it all up and running (no fish of course) and start cycling/experimenting with CO2 etc. should be an exciting few days. Thanks again.

Good stuff Stu. Really, I wouldn't worry about suitability for moderate light or anything of that nature. All the propaganda you hear about low light, moderate light, high light plants are all illusions. It's the CO2/flow that counts. So plants are low CO2 or moderate Co2 or high CO2.

It looks like you paid attention and followed or exceeded the 10X rule. Having 2 diffusers is better than having one, so don't be afraid to experiment with a "Y" connector to split the flow. It's often difficult to get even flow from two diffusers when using a "T" or "Y". That's because the back pressure from each diffuser is never exactly equal. Even minor pressure differences cause uneven flow rates between the two and this might drive you crazy trying to balance the gas flow, but don't sweat it. Getting there is half the fun. 8)

Cheers,

Yes, I have seen your comments in other posts where you mentioned plant growth is more CO2 and flow dependent than light intensity dependent, I am just playing safe initially and starting with what are hopefully "simpler" plants and will progress gradually.

Is it a fact that connectors (plastic or metal) in CO2 applications need to be CO2 rated or is this hype? I have seen it mentioned on here somewhere that they should be. Regarding balancing diffusers, going back a few years you used to be able to get adjustable "clamps" for air lines where you slipped the fitting over the tubing and then used an adjustable screw/pad which pinched the line to get the required flow, this would solve the problem of equalising flow through each diffuser

Thanks Paul, interesting read. My diffusers are all the same size, I bought a few from Malaysia via Ebay and as postage was almost as much as cost of diffuser I bought spares. I'll get just the splitter for now and as Clive says, try and use a bit of ingenuity to balance (approx) the flow to each diffuser. It may not be exactly 50% through each, but its still going to be much better than using just one and I will be having pretty good flow around the tank anyway. However, no doubt I'll get frustrated seeing more bubbles from one diffuser than the other and will be constantly fiddling with it. I'll also buy straight through connectors for placing local to each diffuser to save trying to get the tubing off the diffuser at cleaning time, at £1.75 each they should be a good investment to reduce risk of breaking neck of the diffusers.

Back