• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

co2 in a low light tank

also i guess that with fine enough mist , if i can keepmit down at substrate level until its traveled the length of the tank , that a fair bit would dissolve by the time its travelled 4 feet too so lemonade effct possibly further reduced?

also i guess that with fine enough mist , if i can keepmit down at substrate level until its traveled the length of the tank , that a fair bit would dissolve by the time its travelled 4 feet too so lemonade effct possibly further reduced?
Exactly. If the flow is highish at the spot of the diffuser/atomizer then bubbles are very very small and they get dissolved even further as they travel and thats why I can barely see them unless I look very closely.
You shouldnt see anything from your sofa or at 2 feet from the tank. If you do see then bubbles are too big IMO.

well the flow will be coming from a fluval 306 rated i believe at 1150lph , a fluval u4 rated at 1000 lph and an as yet undecided powerhead but probably at least in the 1600lph region all flowing from right to left . should be pretty strong id of thought

well the flow will be coming from a fluval 306 rated i believe at 1150lph , a fluval u4 rated at 1000 lph and an as yet undecided powerhead but probably at least in the 1600lph region all flowing from right to left . should be pretty strong id of thought
Id think so. Probably too much. Might be enough with only the two filters since its low light. You also ought to have some surface ripple. It prevents many problems.

When I set up one day my discus tank it will be this kind of a tank. Thats if I can someday afford an apartment or something in UK which seems impossible:dead:

Last edited:
i think il experement now by putting the u4 same end as the external and havethem both flowing right to left . ist the possible loss of momentum over 4 feet that concerns me

Another option could be one of them going righ to left through the back and the other one going left to right through the front. This should create a circular motion if tank is wide enough. If you are going to have lots of tall plants at the back then not the best idea.

yep lots of tall plants at the back , crypts , annubias etc in the midground and a carpet of sagitaria subulata in the foreground . ive just swapped the u4 to be at the same end as the external outlet . at the opposite end of the tank flow is so strong plants are bending over but once its about 3/4 along the way back to source end is slows noticably . although i do have a rather large chunk of bogwood at that end which must be acting like a big buffer stop . that is getting swappedmout for a branchy piece of redmoor soon though .

It doesnt need to be very strong at the oposite side. Dont worry too much it looks like its just fine.

perhaps its even a bit too strong . there is a stem of L. sesiliflora about 9 inches tall the opposite end to the filters and flow forcing down the glass that end of the tank is so strong its almost laid on the substrate!

Then try just with one filter. The 10x rule is well overestimated. The main thing is your intuition. Also in the front of the tank there shouldnt be anything in the way of the flow. This is normally the case for most scapes.

what i may do is do away with the u4 , after all it is a big ugly black box with a very narrow jet of flow , and swap it out for a newave 1.6 wavemaker . adjustable from 800 to 1600lph and probably more diffused/spread out flow .

what i may do is do away with the u4 , after all it is a big ugly black box with a very narrow jet of flow , and swap it out for a newave 1.6 wavemaker . adjustable from 800 to 1600lph and probably more diffused/spread out flow .

Sounds good.

Back