• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Injection on External Filter Outlet

sonicninja

Hi everyone,
Just planning my new nano tank. Had originally planned on using a bazooka style in tank diffuser but noticed my UP External 120 filter has one one those outlet nozzles with a nub for use with O2 'aeration'. Got me thinking that this might be effective for CO2 injection in a nano tank. Anyone using this method or see a reason I should t try it? I'll include a pic to demonstrate what I mean.

Thanks everyone!
IMG_0760.jpg

It works but poorly due to the relatively large bubble size compared to having a diffusser - smaller bubblesthe better as gives the CO2 a larger surface area per volume of CO2 used so better uptake by water. Fitting a bazooka inside the filer would work better and then you wont see it in tank.

Thanks Zeus. I'm not above to use a diffuser inside the filter as it's a hob filter with a closed lid (it's an UP External 150). I think you're right about the in tank diffuser. Maybe I can hide it somewhere nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stuff some cotton in the end of the tube. It will break it up. How efficient it is I don't no. I used to do it on a tiny filter before going into the impeller and getting smashed up. Bazooka is still best option but inside the tank.

As was mentioned, diffusion will be very poor. I use roll up cigarette filters in test tanks (non menthol obviously) squeezed into the end of the tube, that works pretty well I find.

I eventually came to regret the amount of time I wasted with inline diffusion methods and returned to a well concealed bazooka much to the benefit of my tank. The absorption of C02 into the water column just seems to be far superior with a super-fine 'mist' that just hangs there. With well arranged water flow.... the C02 laden water can still be well distributed throughout the tank without presenting any unsightly micro-bubbles. I experimented with inline diffusion because I thought it would enhance absorption and distribution....but I now think only an inline C02 reactor could possibly compete with a well performing bazooka. Inline methods that just rely on 'flow' sometimes result in what I would describe as 'bubble-pushing'....and contribute little to absorption rates. Growth and health observations indicate that my plants really love the bazooka...LOL

Yeah, I'll stick with the bazooka for the moment I think. I've used one before to good effect, the only diffuser I've had more success with is an inline one but unfortunately the filter I'll be using won't allow for this.:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back