• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 mist: fish are hiding?

GillesF

Hello

has anyone noticed fish hiding when there's a lot of CO2 mist? Ever since I'm injecting CO2 through my atomizer, I've noticed that my fish are always staying very calm in a corner of the tank. The DC is light green, a nice surface ripple and plenty of circulation so not too much CO2.

Gilles

On closer look, my fish are breathing a bit rapidly. I decreased CO2 somewhat.

Alastair said:
Mine did the same when I used the up atomiser. Fish were never happy until I turned the co2 off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you using now?

I think my problem is gas exchange. My plastic cover functions as a seal and prohibits oxygen from entering. I might need to change something about that first.

I've never had this problem myself and my tank is full of co2 bubbles. Fish are always swimming around in the open. Perhaps it depends on the fish in question. Maybe some fish are more sensitive to it than others. What colour is your drop checker when this happens?

This is true. Maybe the fish just need to get used to the co2 and it's that that's bothering them rather than the mist. Have you just put co2 on the tank or have you always had it?

Matty1983 said:
This is true. Maybe the fish just need to get used to the co2 and it's that that's bothering them rather than the mist. Have you just put co2 on the tank or have you always had it?

In my case I'm sure it was the mist as as soon as the solenoid went off, within minutes they were out and about. Maybe its just them getting used to a change of environment?

Gilles, do they still come out to feed when the CO2 is on?

GillesF said:
Alastair said:
Mine did the same when I used the up atomiser. Fish were never happy until I turned the co2 off.

What are you using now?

I think my problem is gas exchange. My plastic cover functions as a seal and prohibits oxygen from entering. I might need to change something about that first.

I use a reactor now mainly so I can have a bubble free tank other than the pearling.

If your seal prevents oxygen from entering, just out of curiosity how do you deal with night time? I don't really agitate my surface but my tank being open topped allows fish to swim up for air should the O2 levels drop at night.

Alastair said:
GillesF said:
Alastair said:

What are you using now?

I use a reactor now mainly so I can have a bubble free tank other than the pearling.

If your seal prevents oxygen from entering, just out of curiosity how do you deal with night time? I don't really agitate my surface but my tank being open topped allows fish to swim up for air should the O2 levels drop at night.

I've never thought about gas exchange really, the tank is still covered at night. I think that in my case it's a combination of aeration and adaptation. I've been using the atomizer for two weeks now which might explain the hiding but not the fast breathing.

I'm going to try a grid as a cover, this will keep the fish in but not the air

Update: bought an inox grill today and placed it on the aquarium. Result: fish are happily swimming, not hiding and act normally even with the same amount of mist as yesterday. They are still breathing "fast" though, but maybe that's normal?

My DC was yellow and my fish were hiding again. So I did a little test: I shut off the CO2 so that there were no bubbles. After about 15 minutes, the fish were happily swimming again. I can assume that it is not too much CO2 that causes this behaviour but rather the bubbles? After those 15 minutes I started injecting again and the fish are still swimming ... Strange, strange fish.

hello.I have had my angel fish behave like this .they hide when the tank is full of bubbles ,shortly after turning off the co2 they come out of hiding.i have had a major outbreak of BBA because i panicked and turned the co2 down.the fish do seem happier with out the bubbles,

Allright, I just saw one of the fish gasping for air 3 hours after lights on. I think I'm having problems determining whether or not my DC is dark green or light green at lights on. It's more like something in between. I decreased CO2 just slightly so I'm injecting at the same rate as yesterday. I didn't have any fish gasping yesterday, so it should be ok. I'm also adding a second DC as a back-up.

Back