• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 not in flow.

Fletchie

Hello,

I have a roma 200 with a 407 and a spray bar fitted. Im using a co2 art co2 kit for extinguishers. I don't seem to be getting much of the co2 in the flow. It's just floating up and out and seems to be not moving down the length of the tank.

Here is a short video of the tank.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

To get the best CO2 uptake by the water it is always best if the bubbles rise up right underneath the outlet of the filter, Ideally the CO2 bubbles should be pushed right across the tank and down to the substrate level then right across the bottom

To get the best CO2 uptake by the water it is always best if the bubbles rise up right underneath the outlet of the filter, Ideally the CO2 bubbles should be pushed right across the tank and down to the substrate level then right across the bottom

You shouldn’t see any bubbles at all if the CO2 is properly dissolved in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You shouldn’t see any bubbles at all if the CO2 is properly dissolved in the water.
Some haven't this option to fully dissolve Co2!

Agree with @Zeus. and @GHNelson and in addition to some people not having the option to fully dissolve I wouldn't discount Georges thoughts on the potential benefit of CO2 'micro' bubble accumulation on leaves.

In this instance I think if inline is not an option then placing at the back under the spray bar would be best, and if you are able to go for two one on each side. Under the skimmer if this isn't possible is the next best option though you may have issues on the other side of the thank but hopefully the roll of the spray bar will help distribute it and those skimmers are pretty effective at pushing flow out and down.

Last edited:
The smaller the bubbles the better.......options would be to use a Neo/Twinstar or a Dennerle Diffuser!
Or an In-line diffuser that attaches to the filter tubing, as Mat H stated.

You know when you have it right as tank looks like its full of '7UP'.
I guess I'm okay then!

Also is my snail pearling? 😂

Note: No shrimps, or snails, were injured or killed (before, during or after) the making of these shots.

Attachments

• 20231005_150908.jpg
    20231005_150908.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 20231005_163016.jpg
    20231005_163016.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hi all,
Also is my snail pearling? 😂
That maybe the bubble nuclei forming where there are rough sections in the Nerite's shell - <"https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.230376"> or they may just <"be being "trapped"> by the rougher sections of shell.
Note: No shrimps, or snails, were injured or killed (before, during or after) the making of these shots.
I'm guessing that that is actually the <"start of shell attrition">. It would be worth noting if the shell becomes more bubble covered as time progresses.

You have the complicating factor of oxygen bubbles with the plant leaves, but with the snail shell they are definitely CO2 (unless you have <"such a lot of pearling"> that everything is covered in oxygen bubbles).

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

That maybe the bubble nuclei forming where there are rough sections in the Nerite's shell - <"https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.230376"> or they may just <"be being "trapped"> by the rougher sections of shell.

I'm guessing that that is actually the <"start of shell attrition">. It would be worth noting if the shell becomes more bubble covered as time progresses.

You have the complicating factor of oxygen bubbles with the plant leaves, but with the snail shell they are definitely CO2 (unless you have <"such a lot of pearling"> that everything is covered in oxygen bubbles).

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel,

Yes I'm keeping an eye on the shells, moreso of the Ramshorns as I think they're a better barometer. Some of the more recent Nerites were already like this when purchased however.

The pearling remark was in jest, whilst my Co2 alone doesn't look too dissimilar the fact I also have a Twinstar running means there tend to be bubbles of everything / everywhere, but all seemingly in balance for both plants and all inhabitants - again everything tends to get my ever constant gaze for potential issues as well and your comments are noted.

I will also be keeping a special eye on my lone Rabbit Snail, despite his voracious appetite for my Pogostemon Helferi, he's been with this particular tank (through its various iterations) for over five years, so I have an unusual respect and fondness for the not so little chap.

I must remember to update my last Twinstar..what is it? comment and leave my thoughts, though to be honest I'm not sure what they are.

Edit: reading the linked thread it appears my assumption regarding Ramshorns is incorrect so I'll definitely be extra vigilant? 👍

Last edited:
Hi all,
I will also be keeping a special eye on my lone Rabbit Snail, despite his voracious appetite for my Pogostemon Helferi, he's been with this particular tank (through its various iterations) for over five years, so I have an unusual respect and fondness for the not so little chap.
reading the linked thread it appears my assumption regarding Ramshorns is incorrect so I'll definitely be extra vigilant?
I think you are good. I'd imagine the Rabbit Snail (Tylomelania sp.) is the best indicator. They come <"from Lake Poso etc">. which have relatively soft, but alkaline, water and if it doesn't show shell attrition after five years? I think you are pretty safe.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I think you are good. I'd imagine the Rabbit Snail (Tylomelania sp.) is the best indicator. They come <"from Lake Poso etc">. which have relatively soft, but alkaline, water and if it doesn't show shell attrition after five years? I think you are pretty safe.
cheers Darrel
I would agree however, other than some infrequent half hearted attempts at high tech, that's five years of low tech liquid rock water, the addition of both CO2 and an RO (or rain) / tap mix being only in the last few months! - may explain the appetite for the Pogostemon Helferi in particular if my understanding is correct.

Your concerns are quite valid and one of a few I've probably overlooked since moving to more high tech tanks.

Yes, five years is quite a feat, I only ever had two and they never bred, though the other was lost last year. I'll try to find some then and now pictures, he does look a bit weather beaten but all things considered doing quite miraculously. I was trying to see if you could age them from the shells but looking through past pictures he's been around since at least Jul 2018.

Last edited:
Hi all,
both CO2 and an RO (or rain) / tap mix being only in the last few months!
OK. I've never kept Nerites, and the only hard water Mollusc I've tried were <"Anentome helene">, but I would keep an eye on the oldest shell whorls, that is where signs of attrition (probably initially loss of pigment) will occur first.

My Ramshorns <"look better (and bigger)"> than this at the moment, but I'd imagine they won't survive the softer rainwater in the winter.

cheers Darrel

Back