• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 through external (NW) pump, merge return with main filter?

Any advice on the canister vs wet/dry discussion which is in my head? :0

Wet/dry sump supposedly provides better oxygenation of the water column over a canister filter, don't have one myself, the injection part of the sump needs to be sealed apparently. This is what I read over on TheBarrReport, there's a monster thread discussing Cerges/dwell time reactors, (where I got the idea for my 20") sumps and needle wheel pumps also formed part of the discussion somewhere amongst it. I had a trawl and couldn't find the link, I'll keep trying and maybe I'll find it. You might have seen the thread I'm talking about, last time I read it it was 40+ pages long.

:)

Gave the unit a clean this evening and measured its throughput.

The pump used to push water through for measuring is an Eheim Compact+ 2000, all exits for water are through the large 16/22 Eheim Double Taps including pump exit when not connected to the unit for measuring raw pump throughput.

Pump not connected to housing - 1200L/hr

Pump connected to Housing (Before cleaning) - 1000L/hr

Pump connected to Housing (After cleaning) - 1028L/hr

There is reduction in flow, but not massively, the sponges have quite a bit of bio load even after cleaning out detritus and having water running clean through it after many rounds of agitating the unit like a giant cocktail shaker. I'm still happy with my unit and don't feel the need to modify it in any way for the time being. If the sponges fully clog then I will replace them with a coarser PPI sponge or plastic pot scrubs.

:)

Back