• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Collect yor own

mdhardy01

Hi guys
Found a nice looking plant in my local river
What are the risks of taking a portion and adding
It to my tank?
Would you recommend / not recommend this ?
And if yes what precautions would you recommend?
Thanks
Matt

There is no great harm in doing so. As long as you respect the area it comes from and not make a mess doing so, then it is fine.
Its also fine to introduce them to your tank, though you might find a few critters hitch hiking into your tank. They are not dangerous, but some may say they look unsightly. Things like planarian or common hitch hikers, and no one likes them. Other than that, its a case of seeing how the plant does. Despite it being warm during the summer, its still colder than what the tropicals like, so you may find it does not take to the higher temperatures, but you wont know unless you try.

Hope that help.

Cheers.

There is no harm in taking a bit of plant, as Graham said you will get a few guests with the plant. If you put the plant in some carbonated water for about 10 minutes that should kill most of them. Hitchhikers like dragon fly or fish lice are not something you want. I put the sparkling water in a lunch box put the plants in and close the lid so the Co2 stays in the water. It seems to work well.
Cheers
Peter

Many thanks for hour replies
I may leave it for the time being as this is a discus
Tank and parsites would be most unwelcome gate crashers
Thanks again
Matt

I regularly collect plants from the wild (err, land owners permitting of course :rolleyes:)
Ive had hitch hikers, most end up lunch, but whatever doesnt adds to the ''eco system''.

Back