• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Colour Blind

french47

I have just set up my first Co2 system, my problem is I can't read the colours in the drop checker, would carrying out regular PH readings amount to the same thing?

Yes. The dropchecker is just a pH test kit. But do not use the pH readings to directly determine your CO2 levels. Use the changes in the readings to tell you the relative amounts at different times of the day.

Cheers,

Thanks for that,
Have I got this right, if my water was at PH 7, I should watch for a fall to say PH 6. But if my water is PH 6.5 I should watch for a fall to PH 5.5
Is that about right?
Cheers

Hello again,

Sorry to be a bit slow on the up take, only I also have fish in the tank and I was always under the impression that you should keep the PH stable.
So if my Co2 is low in the morning and then builds up during the day, Ergo the PH drops only to rise at night when the gas goes off, then surly this is not a stable PH
Is that correct. How to I keep a happy medium. I.E. I want good plant growth and at the same time have happy fish.

You're correct, but pH from CO2 is an artificial pH. Fish don't care (nor do they notice if I'm right). So this is not something to worry about. pH swings due to KH swings are more troublesome. My pH drops 1.2 every morning in less than 2 hours and and rises after the lights are turned of again. No problems with fish/shrimp.

There is no such thing as artificial pH. pH is pH, period. Your fish really do not care about pH in and of itself. You do not need to worry about keeping pH stable. That is one of the reasons that people get into trouble, because they think they are doing something good by micromanaging pH.

Cheers,

Back