• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Colour temperature

This article explains the relationship well (it is probably mentioned in some of Clive's links above). I think the ideal combination is the one with high co2 and low/moderate light (obviously both categories are flexible). As you can see in the diagrams this does not get you fast growth, but it gets you moderate and, most importantly, healthy growth with reduced chances of algae. High light-high co2 can also work of course, but the other option is probably the most viable for non-pros, i.e. more manageable.

Tropica Aquarium Plants - Rådgivning - Tekniske artikler - Vandplanters biologi - Interaktioner mellem lys og CO2

Thomas

Okay so basically plants will grow on as best they can regardless.

The level of that growth being dependant on light, CO2 and ferts, any of which can become the limiting factor.(does light have the distinction of being the one of the three that can be overdone to damaging levels within normal ranges of the other two?) From reading your other posts: lighting issues are 'usually' too much light (when compared to current CO2 input & distribution)Looking at EI dosing is designed give more than required as uptake is then not limited by availability. CO2 can be pushed sky high as long as you don't nuke your fish. But all 3 parameters must be in some equirilibrium.

Reminds me of the photographic trinity: ISO - f/stop - shutter speed. Well except that is was simpler ;)
Yep, ISO f/stop shutter is a lot easier because they are all well defined, controllable and exact parameters. We are simply not in control of all the thousands of direct and indirect parameters associated with growth and health. We lack control of even the Light/CO2/Nutrients when you think about it. The light is not the same on every leaf on the same plant. Neither is the flow, gas diffusion rate or nutrient availability.

The same plant, under any given set of tank conditions can actually be low light and high light at the same time. The leaves at the top receive a much higher PAR than those at the bottom, which get shaded, so they behave as low light plants do and their growth is much slower.

Cheers,

Well at least nature can cope with our bumbling :)

Thanks for your help ceg, I've got plenty to mull over now

Back