Combining filters.

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by Egmel, 7 Aug 2009.

1. Egmel

Egmel Member

I asked this a while ago and the general consensus was that I should keep my 2 external filters (both eheim classics a 2213 and a 2217) separate.

However there really isn't room in the hood to have all the pipes running in neatly and they're getting kinked/squashed and it's damaging the flow. I've got quite and elaborate set up at the moment to make it work.

However this weekend I'm moving out and will be staying with my sister while I look for somewhere to buy. Now I need to find a better solution.

I could cut more/bigger holes in the hood, this would probably be the easiest solution but it makes the hood less stable and there's more holes for critters to jump out of.

Or I could have the 2 filters hooked up to the same inlet/outlet. I can buy T pieces which would make this a trivial exercises and I can use the 2 spray bars I have at the moment in serial for the outlet. The inlet would probably have to be the one from the 2217.

So my question is simple, is this a good idea or should I avoid at all costs and just cut a couple of extra holes in the hood?

2. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

I've tried it before with two different filters and i failed misserably! No doubt it would be better with two of the same filter but if it were me, i'd just cut more wholes in the hood, you should also get more flow control/direction too. Good luck with the new house hunt.

3. Egmel

Egmel Member

Thanks Dan,

That's just what I needed to hear; 'don't try it, it's not as straightforward as it sounds'. I'll get my hacksaw out instead ;)

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

My favourite weapon in the fight against lighting/filter tubing :lol: