• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Combining Woods?

twg

Hi All,

I just wondered if many of you had produced an aquascape using contrasting pieces of bogwood. Say for example a branchy piece of manzanita alongside normal bogwood etc.

I appreciate many woods are different colour tones so it is not always that pleasing on the eye, but I was curious whether any of you had made use of various types that complimented one another?

Any photo examples would be great :thumbup:

It can look a bit contrived differerent types but rules can be broken some examples of different wood as roots and bogwood( often seen in contest aquascapes.) similar as the main "tree"are often seen.Manzanita doesnt release tannins that is a consideration.My favourite is Azaelia Root.

I think it depends on the reason and the layout.

If you love redmoor or manzanita for the scape but need or want some different woods for Plecs or other wood grazers then you can contrive to have the showy pieces at the front of the scape with the alternative types behind, that way you wouldn't even notice there were two types, but you manage the tanks/fishes needs.

Or if you want bogwood as it is often easier to attach large Anubias etc to then again if they are lower down the scape or to be hidden by the plants or moss then again i don't feel you would even notice the two types.

I think if you just plonk bogwood, manzanita etc all next to each other then the contrast generally wont look natural. However it is your tank and your show so if you like it roll with it.

Back