• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Comp_Nov09: Fell's Crag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Sam :D
Good luck to you also :thumbup:

Cheers,
James

James Marshall said:
4195597271_4ae437b591_b.jpg

This is my favourite pic, I love the way the green just drops away off the bank and has a real natural bulge where it overhangs like a grass verge or something. Very much reminds me of your tank you had in PFK except with darker sand :thumbup:

Thank you Neil :D .
I'm glad you noticed that.
I am fascinated with the way different plants grow at the edge of a cliff.

Cheers,
James

James Marshall said:
Thank you Neil :D .
I'm glad you noticed that.
I am fascinated with the way different plants grow at the edge of a cliff.

Cheers,
James

Its a really nice effect, is it a case of cunningly placed rocks with the Riccia attached behind the 'edging' larger rock? I always wondered from your other tank too as it looked excellent! I read in a lot of places that Riccia has to be removed after a while as it 'overgrows' itself so the lower parts rot? Did you have to replace it in your other tank?

In the pico the Riccia is tied to 2 pieces of lava rock behind the main stones, in Autumn Sunrise it was tied directly to the main stones.
I think the trick is not to tie it too tightly, otherwise no new plant can develop under the fishing line, and it will not stay anchored. Also if the plant gets crushed in the process, most of it will rot and form a layer of sludge under the healthy stuff causing it to lift.
Use loads of line and tie lots of Riccia loosely to the rock, then prune it weekly to about 1.5cm thick, it can stay healthy and well anchored for 6 months or so.

Cheers,
James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back