• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Compact bulbs ?

lil-lynx

hello i have a over tank light unit. the light unit is over a juwel 96 which is 31x15x15" its about 96 litres im guess from the name. the light unit i have has 2 36watt you shaped bulbs, but it is half blue half white on both of them, the blue is no good to me, so im really only using half of the like I have ( plants don't use blue light) , need to no where to get cheap bulbs interpet sell them but they are like £20 each !

thank you :). its one of these 4 pin ones from interpet, but i got a good deal on the light unit, the shop was given it away for £20, it came with 2 36 bulbs and legs and the light unit its self, couldn't say no when one bulb is £20 :D

Ah right, so you want the 2G11 socket ones... Something like one of these:

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs- ... Daylight_6

You could also try a few of the other light temperature ones. They're so cheap anyway! It's good to mix them sometimes to see if different combinations give you nice colour rendition. Check out the others as well. Maybe try an 840 (cool white) or 835 (warm white) with an 865 (daylight). Only way to get a good combination is to buy several though. If you want to play safe though, stick with a couple of 865 tubes :)

Bare in mind that I think LampSpec charge £10 shipping on orders under £10. Makes it worth buying 4 or 5 tubes :)

hahaha will do :p. O it will be over £10 as need to get some tubes for my dads 5 footer. I was thinking about a daylight and a white, I was a brightly light aquarium im not sure I might buy a warm white , white and a daylight and see the best out of them

ooo i am feeling these Osram Lumilux 880 Skywhite + Osram Lumilux 840 :) the green is sooo lush

lil-lynx said:
...the light unit i have has 2 36watt you shaped bulbs, but it is half blue half white on both of them, the blue is no good to me, so im really only using half of the like I have ( plants don't use blue light)
This statement is absolutely false. Blue is probably the most important colour for plants. See the thread blue lights?

Cheers,

i was told that it promotes algie growth, and i don't think it does any thing as i have t light units one with 39w t5 ho both blue bulbs was used for sump light i didn't have good growth ( in planted tank after taken of sump ), it could be true but who wants a blue tank ?. thanks for the correction tho mate :D

Lil-Lynx, do you have a single thread with details of your tank size, filters, light, co2, ferts and substrate? I'm sure I've read that your tank varies wildly in size and requirements will change as such. How many tanks do you have?

If you're using power compacts like you suggest here you're going to need much more than just DIY yeast based co2, you'll also need good filtration, good dosing and a nutrient rich substrate wouldn't go amiss.

my tank is a juwel 96

31 inches long 15 inches deep and inches hight

i have a interpet over tank unit which has 2 36watt compact bulbs ( the u shaped ones)

have JBL AQUABASIS PLUS under pea gravel

filter i have a fluval u4

diy co2 set up today

also have anouther light unit but its 3 foot long so bit longer then my tank it has 2 39w t5 ho lights, both blue

any thing else needed ?

I'm afraid you're wasting your time with DIY co2, too unstable for that ammount of light, you really need to dose a liquid co2 supliment or pressurised co2. Also, you should be dosing something other wise algae will take hold, wether that's Tropica+ or seachem or diy EI, plants will only grow deffiecently with out food.

I don't know the stats on a u4, I assume it's one of those in the tank box filters, does it turn over around 1000lph?

its a fluval u4, ermm its for a 4foot tank so its fine i think. not sure on LPH doesn't say. also I have had the light unit on for little over 2 weeks with no sign of algie, but i think the bulbs need changing.for liquid i will soon buy not at the moment, every thing is growing well at lest not dieing :D, slow but its all growing,and DIY co2 is better then none ?

True enough some is better than none but it's the instability of it that will highten any cracks in your method. For a 4 foot tank a single intank filter really doesn't sound like much, Also, 48" is 4 feet, 31" inches is 2' 7". Not even 3 foot. If you want to go high light then you should really read high light as high investment. You need to shell out on good lights, then exceptional levels of filtration/flow then co2 and good quality ferts all are vital to the jigsaw and you will fail without, it's why by and large I advise people to wait and get all their equipment before setting up a tank with parts of the jigsaw missing and never realising the full picture of a beautiful hi tech tank.

thats what im doing im waitin will we move house then buy a 3ft got my light unit gettin co2 just need to move lol

Back