• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Complete novice scape

joker01

Seedling
Could any of you guys advise me on my aquascape. This is only my second time ever at aquascaping and I am currently converting from fake to real plants.

I want to get the hardscape right before I go ahead and order any plants.

Attachments

• IMG_20171228_145658028.jpg
    IMG_20171228_145658028.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 241
Joker
This is a personal opinion only.

I would prefer one type of rock as they blend in with each other and not creating a viewing confusion.

I would prefer taller rocks at the LH end location OK. Remove all of the other types of rocks first that will leave a big open central space to work with, either plants or more of the same rock, (LH end)

Keith:wave::wave:

For me it's a bit too much of everything. Two types of driftwood, rocks... But the easiest trick is the substrate - small tanks look much better with fine substrate. I like normal play sand or poll filter sand the best.

Firstly thanks for your feedback.

I have now removed all of the fake plants. Hopefully this will help better with judging the hardscape and I have also removed the driftwood from the middle. The rocks are not rocks as such more short thin slate like stone. Would I be better getting one large rock instead ?

nel. The gravel I don't want to change if I can help it as you can see the tank has fish in it and as I don't have a temporary area to transfer the fish I believe the best option is to leave the gravel in situ.

I have attached some more pics with the updated tank. Sorry the pictures aren't the best I only have access to a phone camera.

Attachments

• IMG_20171229_113558035_LL.jpg
    IMG_20171229_113558035_LL.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20171229_113754891_LL.jpg
    IMG_20171229_113754891_LL.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 135
joker

Its certainly an improvement. I would remove the three small rocks at the front reasons being, they all look as if they have been very carefully placed in a line for stepping stones. As they are small and flat they will get lost once the plants get established. The small rock at the back just a waste of a good flat stone.

Sorry the say that backing was a waste of good money and leave it at that. You can buy a Vinyl sheeting that is used for covering books its cheap and easy to apply and remove. I would choose a dark marine blue or black..

Keith:wave::wave:

I think the best way to approach this is to find a photo of the environment you're trying to replicate - and get hardscape that matches to that vision. Is there some specific setting that you love or are envisioning? Without having something/an idea to build towards, you'll find yourself wondering a lot vs. being able to feel like you did a good job or not recreating what you wanted to see. Right now, I don't really know what you're trying to create so its difficult to really "critique".

Firstly thanks guys for your input.

Blimey :arghh: this aquascaping lark is hard work!! Its not the actual physical work more the mental creative side that's hard. I am a logical thinker not a creative one. Right the stones and the background have been removed. I have also rescaped the gravel and repositioned the Bogwood still a bit of tweaking and smoothing out, But I think I am quite happy with it now, But again I will let you lot be the judges. I still don't know what to with the left side of the tank or with the stones. I have attached pictures of the stones .

Doubu I understand what you're saying. I think my problem is I like certain aspects of lots of different landscapes and what my brain is trying to do is fit them all into one. I am realizing that aquascaping is like a jigsaw puzzle, you have to keep trying pieces till one fits

Attachments

• IMG_20171231_153632068_LL.jpg
    IMG_20171231_153632068_LL.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20171231_165431591_LL.jpg
    IMG_20171231_165431591_LL.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 124
Back