• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Congo Swamp Monster (750l biotope)

Good point. Thanks!

There is a lot of scattered twigs but could definitely be more eg in front of the left hand water lilly.

There are really two piles of stones that are quite distinct and would be better integrated a bit more. You are also right that I need to build a clearer transition from the gravelly areas to the sandy ones and from the stones to the gravel.

Things I’m planning in the next month or so

1. I’ve been peat filtering to help settle some rather skittish wild caught tetras but I am now planning to take out the peat and replace it with purigen to get back to bright clean water..

2. Neatening up the far right where the Floscopa has gone haywire and a bit scruffy.

3. Making smoother transitions in the substrate!

4. Adding some more emersed planting behind the big log and in the back right corner, in shower caddies and hydroton

5. Adding some new hairgrass front left

6. Another pair of dwarf cichlids

7. A big shoal of lampeyes, either Plataplochilus, Poropanchax, Congopanchax or Procatopus

Last edited:
The tetras were all shoaling nicely together this evening and so I made a couple of videos. Quality is horrible, but they probably give a better sense of the tank than any of my photos. I really need to learn to take good/acceptable aquarium photos and videos. Any suggestions of sites that give good instructions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
A few new additions to the family.

A pair of Pelvicachromis subocellatus ‘Matadi’, who have taken up residence in a knot of branches on the right hand side of the tank and hunkered down. They take an occassional explore around a 1 foot radius but won’t go much further yet and won’t go into the main tree trunk area which is the right hand edge of the patch the Enigmatochromis spend most
time in.

Two shots of the male:
UegNKqC.jpg

7q6KZy6.jpg

The pair together
0isT0vL.jpg

And the female. I believe the silvery scales around the belly are characteristic of subocellatus.
Kl4EF4K.jpg

Other new addition is a trio of Plataplochilus lamp eyes. They have taken up residence swimming in the top half of the water in the right hand section, filling an area that the tetras don’t spend much time in. They were sold as P sp ’Dolisie’, which I can’t find any mention of online. I’m hoping this is the same as P sp ‘Les Bandas’ or ‘Tres Bandas’, which is from near Dolisie in the Republic of Congo and is currently listed by a few retailers in Europe. 3 is nowhere near enough - I’d like to build the group to more like 20. It may take some time to build the group as Congo lampeyes are not common - most of the commonly seen species are from further west. They swim fast and so I only managed rubbish photos...
SxaYrUV.jpg

IW0bi8v.jpg

I got some decent photos of a pair of the Aphyosemion louessense RPC78/33 who were courting in front of the tree trunk. The Male louessense are probably my favourite fish in the tank now. They are beautiful fish and always active and out on display at the front of the tank.
wYgDdfQ.jpg

8jcSijr.jpg

eywFIZL.jpg

nnlMYhr.jpg

The Enigmatochromis seem to have settled as a pair. They spend a lot of time out sifting he sand under the lily pads together.
They have had occassional bouts of digging under various stones, twigs and more substantial chunks of wood and the female has had periods of proper plum coloured fat belly, but I’ve not seen any spawning yet. Below is a picture of the two feeding together and the female our cruising on her own.
0FbTPOV.jpg

SLVCiSN.jpg

MOgytFO.jpg

They are generally very chilled out but make an exception for the Microctenopoma, which they attack on sight with real ferocity. I can only imagine they recognise them as a threat to their potential future babies. As a result the bushfish don’t stay out for long. I managed to get a quick picture of one during feeding today before it was bundled away by the male cichlid. The small piece of bogwood he is above is probably the cichlids favourite spot for excavations, so he/she didn’t stand much chance. The two that I have left at growing up to be beautiful fish. This one is probably about 1.5” and the other much bigger at 2.5”.
8pqkglG.jpg

The Floscopa and Ammania on the right hand side are growing emersed pretty well. There is much more that is gradually reaching the surface and I also want to add some marsh plants in a shower caddy to build an area with dense greenery above the water to balance the left hand side.
8ZnO87G.jpg

Finally, I’m probably happiest with the submerged growth in the central part of the tank. It is need of a trim, but I think is now looking good. The Anubias still needs to thicken out a bit and then I will stop fiddling for a while, at least with this bit! The Bolbitis are starting to grow above the water line and I’ll add some emersed growth attached to the trunk and in a shower caddy behind when I get around to it.
9SC5tl2.jpg

Babies! :)

Love is in the air in the swamp monster.

I was getting worried about how well the
Pelvicachromis subocellatus ‘Matadi’ were settling, as they had gone to ground when they went in and I’d not seen much of them. Today I discovered why as the female popped up on top of the tangle of twigs and small bogwood pieces that they have been hiding in followed by a small group of at least 6 babies, who spent a few seconds picking at the top of the wood before being shooed away. It seems to be a small brood but I’ve really not been able to get more than a couple of glimpses. They are being kept well hidden!

They have done well to keep the Microsynodontis (now probably 2.5-3”) and Microctenopoma at bay. Not sure they will be able to keep it up.

There are also a few what I assume to be baby Aphyosemion lurking in the super shallow patch on the left.

I haven’t seen much of the Microctenopoma at feeding times for the last week or two, and suspect they are the reason there aren’t more young ‘uns.

Last edited:
A few full tank shots today. I’m quite happy with the tank and not far off getting how I want it. Still want to put some more emersed plants in and soften some of the transitions between different section. Fish stocking is also not far off complete. I hopefully have a couple more pairs of dwarf cichlids, some rare Congo catfish coming and some new killifish coming soon. Will be close to done then - will keep space to complete the a big group of Plataplochilus but I think it could be a really long wait to find some. I also really need to get my decent camera out..

48HtWB8.jpg

odCmaD4.jpg

GAp7x9z.jpg

I’ve added further groups of killies from various breeders from online auctions, a group of tetras from Pier Aquatics, and some wild caught
cichlids and catfish that Abacus Aquatics bought in for me from Europe, and the swamp monster is now close to fully stocked I think, at least unless/until I can find some more Plataplochilus lampeyes.

The full stock list is:

Tetras

9 Phenacogrammus deheyni ‘fantastique/red makoua’
9 Phenacogrammus aurantiacus
7 Bathyaethiops greeni

Barbs

8 Enteromius fasciolatus

Cichlids

2 (1/1) Enigmatochromis lucanusi
2 (1/1) Pelvicachromis subocellatus ‘matadi’
4 (2/2) Congochromis sabinae

Killies

7 (4/3) Aphyosemion louessense ‘RPC 78/33’
7 (3/4) Aphyosemion pyrophore ‘komono yellow’
3 (1/2) Aphyoplatys duboisi
3 (1/2) Plataplochilus sp ‘dolisie’
There are also a large number of baby killies in the very shallow section. I think they are largely loussense

Catfish

1 Otocinclus vittatus
3 Microsynodontis cf polli (these are getting big and stocky at >3” and now come out for food regularly)
3 Trachyglanis cf sanghensis

Anabantoids

1 Microctenopoma ansorgii (I think the others have now succumbed to the cichlids harassing them on sight, but possible there are others)

Here is a video of one of the weird little Trachyglanis eating a bloodworm whilst a chubby Microsynodontis looks on:

And pictures of the new Aphyosemion pyrophore and one of the Congochromis males:
TqOEthn.jpg

KBEEe45.jpg

And a current full tank shot:
8WXnwQ5.jpg

Maybe try to trim the leggy plants at the right side to see if they can get bushier ( try replanting the tops, maybe after letting them get roots in a glas jar).

Yep. The Floscopa is not a particularly attractive plant, and definitely needs trimming. I’m growing more of the Ammania out above the waterline, which is far more attractive. On a more positive note the Floscopa does root easily when I’ve trimmed and replanted it.

The palm grass also needs some hacking down!

The aquascaping still needs a fair bit of work on the right and far left.

Very nice setup.
Most of your species i have swimming in my tank.
The plataplochilus you have are the 'les bandes' type.
I have reproduced both 'les bandes' and 'les saras'.
I am hoping to reproduce the trachyglanis catfish. One female is full with eggs
Who knows what will happen the next months.

Greeting John.

Thanks John. Nice to see you on here. I’ve been watching your success with Plataplochilus on the Lampeyes Facebook group, and I am looking out on Aquabid for eggs to be available. Good to know what mine are - the very shallow part of my tank was designed as a refuge for baby killies so that they can breed naturally. My Aphyoplatys and Aphyosemion have all reproduced but the Plataplochilus haven’t done so, unfortunately. Perhaps a trio is too small a group for them to be really settled and breed. They are probably my favourite fish in the tank - beautiful and wonderfully active!

I unfortunately lost the Trachyglanis. I was travelling a lot for a month and not feeding life or frozen often. They were tricky to feed in a tank the size of mine at the best of times. Wonderful weird fish! Glad that you are doing well with them. I may try them again as there are still some around from the import last year. What do you feed yours on?

About the plataplochilus i can be short, i think you only have females.

Trachyglanis I feed when the lights are out. Always on the same spot. They eat frozen food: red and black mosquito larvae, cyclops etc.
Tubivex they really don't like.

Ik know somebody who keeps 11 trachy in a 80-40-35 tank with lot's of current.
No other fish, he feeds them live white mosquito larvae, they float around in the tank and the trachy catch them as they flow around.

Greetings John.

Will get a better shot of the Plataplochilus that I think is male. He has some fin extensions and some colour in the dorsal fin.

3 females would certainly explain my lack of breeding success!!

qzqoTvv.jpg

This is the Plataplochilus that I have have always assumed was Male. The others don’t have the causal fin extensions or the red in the fin.

A couple of other (bad phone) shots from today:

zwXZ6Cf.jpg

This is the younger of my two Male Pelvicachromis subocellatus. This one was born in the tank last summer.

uoPPsTa.jpg

A male Aphyosemion exigoideum BBW 00/03. Probably 15mm or so SL. The killies all tend to stay in the shallow water on the left side until they are close to adult size and then explore the rest of the tank.

Back