• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Congo Tetra advice

James O

I'm starting to draw up my fish list for my new tank and I really like the look of Congo Tetras. Lfs advised me not to place them in with anything too small saying, for example my CPDs would be an easy lunch.

Does anyone have any experience with these fancy looking Tetras?

No first hand experience but from reading around over the years I find that they get quite large so a roomy aquarium would be appreciated for a decent group. I don't know if they will eat CPDs, but keep in mind that big fish eat little fish. I also think CPDs may not appreciate being in a tank with something as large as Congos especially if an adequate group of the latter is present as I get the impression that CPDs are relatively shy fish.

Thanks Michael. The tank will be 180x45x40 so plenty of room. My CPDs are currently in with
x-ray tetras and are pretty boisterous. Even more brave than the tetras!

I just don't want to find a load of shredded CPDs one morning

I had them with cardinals and no issues the cpds arent that much smaller. I had an all male group and they kept to them selves. They are pretty agressive feeders so you will need some small sinking food to make sure the cpds dont miss out. I use crushed tetra prima.

Thanks Ollie. I was thinking of feeding the Congo Tetras away in open ground where the more timid fish wouldn't normally venture. And while mayhem ensues, feed the smaller fish around the densely planted areas.

You mentioned having an all male group. Would adding females make them even more vigorous?

Yes it does. But like rainbowfish you need a ratio of 1m 2-3f in a group other wise the females suffer. Another thing to look for when buying is the strength of the colour even in the shop as these will be brighter once they colour up. Due to this even my sub dominant males were brilliant.

Thanks for that Ollie. I'll stick with an all male group. I have 3 lfs to choose from, so can bag the best of the males. I guess I'm looking for colour and quality of fins rather than size?

Would getting a mixed bunch, picking the best from each lfs be wise? I guess pick one lot, quarantine, release then start over with the next batch to reduce disease crossover.

I'll have about 300l spread over 180cm/6ft so hopefully they'll have plenty of swim space to play in

Dont worry too much about the fins as long as they arent rotten as only the top 1 or 2 males will get perfect finnage the rest will be shorter not sure why just is. Look for the stongest oranges you can find Ill stick a pic of my previous ones in a sec.

anuba7un.jpg

Attachments

• anuba7un.jpg
    anuba7un.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 87
Handsome little devils. I guess the differing fins are an outward display of the 'right to mate' decided internally with the pecking order.

Would 10-12 be about?

The more the merrier like any tetra aslong as you're not over stocked. Why not go 3m 9f you might end up with babies...

Haha I'd have to have that built inside my lounge with the glass being passed up to its 1st floor window for 3m!

I'm thinking of pushing it out to 2m though.....just because it's a nice round number ;)

Haha I'd have to have that built inside my lounge with the glass being passed up to its 1st floor window for 3m!

I'm thinking of pushing it out to 2m though.....just because it's a nice round number ;)
I meant 3 males 9 females lol

And there's me thinking you were trying to lead me down the path of darkness.......

And there's me thinking you were trying to lead me down the path of darkness.......
Im pretty sure Ive already assisted you in that area.
I had 6 in my 120x45x45 if that helps

Back