• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Considering moving spray bar to back of tank.

Thanks for that davem.....maths....my worse subject.....I know that the radius of 16mm is 8mm.............I think I will speak to my grandson when I see him sometime and get him to work it out for me!!;)

Thanks for that davem.....maths....my worse subject.....I know that the radius of 16mm is 8mm.............I think I will speak to my grandson when I see him sometime and get him to work it out for me!!;)

I had to go through it a few times myself. :lol:

Well will not see my Grandson for a while but googled it;) and if the answer is right it is 200.96
.If it is not right I will be stuffed!:)

Well I will have to guess I suppose, I tried working it out and it was telling my that the holes should be 8mm.....:D Can you tell that I left school at aged 14? and failed my 11 plus.

May have got it....am going for 30 holes...8 x 8 x 3.14 is 200.96 /30 is 6.69/3.14 is 2.13 square root is 1.46 x 2 is 2.9 so will drill holes of 3mm:)

My spray bar is going to be 90cm and my hose is 16/22 and have ordered 16mm pipework

Thanks dave...that is what I am going to do start with 2mm and open up if necessary...thanks again.

Incidentally the pipework has been dispatched.:)

I would space 15 x 2mm holes to start with as you want to have some pressure behind the system.
Theses formulas are ok but in the real world may not work!
Drilling holes is one aspect dealt with but have you thought how to bend the pipe into the tank, how to hold it in place & how to stop up the far end?

Hi foxfish, Thanks yes will start with 15...I have got elbows on order and end stops and I have assorted clips and suckers.

Just another thought. Would I need to use two diffusers either end underneath the spraybar or one central under it? I have one 2.5cm ceramic diffuser which is very good. I also have a nano diffuser which throws out quite largish bubbles but would do at a pinch. If two I would have to get a T or a Y piece.

May be a case of deploying the power head to take care of that one. Co2 rich water will be taken up by the intake and recirculated anyway.

thanks lurch...I will order some Y pieces just in case...and suppose I best get a pair of matching diffusers at a later stage when the wife releases some pocket money to me out of the pension :D

Just a quick update...

I have not received my pipework yet from FFF, it was dispatched on 22nd....the postage was more than the items ordered, and I received an ebay item yesterday, which was sent the same day 2nd class!!

I will update when pipework arrives and manage to do it.

If it does not arrive I will have to think again.

well that was a big fail.... I said I was not a very practical person....got the pipework this afternoon...spent a lot of time aligning and drilling holes. The elbow would not fit the shepherds crook, but I overcame that by connecting the elbow to shepherds crook together with hose. Then the crook would not go back far enough to be able to attach to back wall.

Cannot really connect with just using hose as the Eheim hose is pretty inflexible, even when trying to bend with a copper pipe spring bender.

More money down the drain. I shall have to save the money for another filter or put one on my christmas list (I know it is early to think about that) or try and think of a way round the problem.

Partly that, and it also does not go low enough.... As I ordered more pipe and elbows than needed,I am thinking of solvent welding on piece to one of the elbows and then connecting the inlet hose directly to that. Then connecting a piece of pipe to that elbow then adding another elbow to that and the spraybar.

If you understand me? Something like a Z but wondering whether that would restrict the flow too much or not. The other alternative is buying an Installation set whatever number the pressure side is ie; set 1 or 2.

I had similar problems in that the lip at the top of my tank meant that fixing to the back glass was difficult. This picture doesn't look too pretty but while I was experimenting I ended up with something like this:
2_zps024725b3.jpg

Don't know if this is of any help to you?

Hi dave...yes it has given me another way to go....thanks:)

Back