• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Consistency Deficiency

Hrmm :sour:
I then spent 30 minutes sitting and staring intensely at the open aquarium cabinet, wrote a long section consisting of 0.001% interesting information and the rest was just me incoherently overthinking and being very unhappy, then I realised no one would be able to follow anything I was writing and deleted the whole thing.
Glad to know I'm not alone. 😂 I do all my best overthinking staring into the tank!

Boy, the OCD’s getting a serious work-out this week. 😂
Look at pretty plants, smile at fishies, think Zen…..and then bash yourself on the head with the green hook again….if you bash hard enough, you may not hear the singing for the ringing in your ears! 👍😂

@Hufsa - by absolute and sheer coincidence, it looks like I’ve just acquired some of your, now infamous, “Hooker Moss” with a purchase of some Buce from a shrimper on Band!

Hookeriacea Distichophyllum:

9C0EE4E4-0C23-423B-86A3-C841D8250638.jpeg

Hey im not the only one calling it that, you can google it :lol: (Just make sure to include the word moss too)

Nice score, looks like a big portion too!
Do you think you will get.. hooked on moss now? 😁

I see what you did there! 😉😆

I’ve always been a moss fan (until it comes to trimming it!), and prefer the more obviously neat and leafy types - Cameroon Moss (not technically a moss I know) has always been my favourite, but this new one may top it.

This is how it should look after a year - the uniformity appeals to my OCD! 😂

32EB2682-EFCA-4CEE-A3AC-4ABD41BD15D6.jpeg

Were you asking me or @Wookii ?
Im not sure which one of ours would be least likely to be stopped on the border 🤔
Did I misremember or are you in Norway? If so, eu so no problem to me here in dk.

I was joking but also not joking if I get some moss 😜

eu so no problem
Well yes but actually no, Norway is not in the EU, we have a special arrangement called EØS. So its unfortunately not free flow across the border like within EU countries. In addition to this, Norway is really fond of as much red tape and restrictions as we can possibly get away with, so thats very fun. This makes it so that many straight up refuse to ship to Norway as they just dont want to deal with all of it. Im not sure how strict it is to send things out though, theres not a lot of things that is smuggled OUT of Norway, its usually in.

Until recently I would have said Wooki would get to donate some cause it would be EU to EU, but then they decided they really wanted to be a strong independent country and I think we all know the rest. At least they get to keep apple snails now, so thats nice.

Anyway I can try once mine grows out a bit and the temperatures are better. Send me a PM later on so I dont forget it ;)

Did I misremember or are you in Norway? If so, eu so no problem to me here in dk.

I was joking but also not joking if I get some moss 😜

From the UK, it will be stopped, scrutinised, strip searched, quarantined and by the time you got it, it would have either evolved or devolved into an entirely new species…..if ur lucky! 😉

fxbcb.jpg

FTS as of right now, including reflections and watermarks, cant be bothered to clean those. As usual my phone camera washes out the tops of the plants and steals some of the lovely yellow tones on the Ammannia :confused:

vhbcvnb.jpg

Made a little grow out tank for my native fissidens species using a soda bottle top and bottom. Its been keeping the humidity nice and high so far and I will spray/mist the mosses if needed. You use the cap on top as a little vent. I took samples of all four species from the submersed growth in the aquarium, to grow out emersed and be able to confirm ID's. I want to have secure ID's for these Fissidens species ive tried, so that I know for sure that those species have been tested. So far leaning towards not that suitable for aquariums, just because they dont really grow in a decorative way. Native fissidens experiment will likely be concluded once I have observed submersed growth forms under CO2, and have confirmed ID's on emersed :geek:

Yidao reactor and Camozzi needle valve has arrived, so now I have everything I need to get started :thumbup:
Will spend the day crammed halfway into the aquarium cabinet getting everything plumbed in and hooked up, if im really lucky it will be ready for the photoperiod tomorrow morning, if not then well, it will be ready when its ready. On to-do list for today is overhauling the hoses on the Ultramax, removing the inline heater and fitting the reactor instead. Moving autodoser to the right side of the cabinet and mounting it (again). CO2 tank moving to the left side, securing the needle valve, non-return valve and bubble counter in suitable way. And then replumbing the Eheim to take the inline heater. In no particular order :crazy:
The JBL dropchecker has already been set up in the tank for a little while, im using the 20ppm CO2 indicator fluid so it should be easier for me to get dialed in to my desired levels. I was thinking of starting with an end target of 15ppm, and then I have some allowance for things to fluctuate without exceeding 20ppm. And then long term I think I want to try 20ppm.

I will see what my otos have to say about it too. I mean that not in a way that I will make them gasp and then back off a little bit, and thats a good level, no no. Just that if they seem grumpy with me for trying 20ppm later on then that amount is not set in stone. Ive gotten pretty good at reading my otos. Yesterday I was ogling a bit of moss with my face plastered to the glass, and one swam up right infront of me, looked me right in the eyes and told me he was feeling peckish. I dropped a little bit of food into the tank and off he went.

Yidao reactor and Camozzi needle valve has arrived, so now I have everything I need to get started :thumbup:
Will spend the day crammed halfway into the aquarium cabinet getting everything plumbed in and hooked up, if im really lucky it will be ready for the photoperiod tomorrow morning, if not then well, it will be ready when its ready. On to-do list for today is overhauling the hoses on the Ultramax, removing the inline heater and fitting the reactor instead. Moving autodoser to the right side of the cabinet and mounting it (again). CO2 tank moving to the left side, securing the needle valve, non-return valve and bubble counter in suitable way. And then replumbing the Eheim to take the inline heater. In no particular order :crazy:
The JBL dropchecker has already been set up in the tank for a little while, im using the 20ppm CO2 indicator fluid so it should be easier for me to get dialed in to my desired levels. I was thinking of starting with an end target of 15ppm, and then I have some allowance for things to fluctuate without exceeding 20ppm. And then long term I think I want to try 20ppm.

I will see what my otos have to say about it too. I mean that not in a way that I will make them gasp and then back off a little bit, and thats a good level, no no. Just that if they seem grumpy with me for trying 20ppm later on then that amount is not set in stone. Ive gotten pretty good at reading my otos. Yesterday I was ogling a bit of moss with my face plastered to the glass, and one swam up right infront of me, looked me right in the eyes and told me he was feeling peckish. I dropped a little bit of food into the tank and off he went.

I wouldn’t recommend going for 15ppm straight off the bat. Introduce it slowly if you don’t want any livestock issues. If it were me, I’d start it perhaps around 1 bubble every 5 seconds for a day or so, then increase a little each day until you hit your target drop checker colour.

I wouldn’t recommend going for 15ppm straight off the bat. Introduce it slowly if you don’t want any livestock issues. If it were me, I’d start it perhaps around 1 bubble every 5 seconds for a day or so, then increase a little each day until you hit your target drop checker colour.
Oh yeah I think I didnt write as clearly as I should have, 15ppm is where I plan to "stop" the increasing process. So im still planning to go slowly, I assume the livestock will need to acclimate to higher CO2 levels than they are used to. Slow for the livestock and also no risk of overshooting the target. Might take a week or more I will see.

What do you feed your Otos, out of curiosity?
This group of otocinclus cocama are unreasonably easy to feed, they eat everything I serve them, not picky at all. Before I had this group of O. cocama I had a group of "normal" otos, and they didnt like fishfood, they didnt like expensive brand Repashy I imported specially for them, they werent enthusiastic about veg, nothing. So I think I have just gotten really lucky with this group. I have no reason to suspect that it differs by species, I think it comes to luck of the draw for the particular group, regardless of species.

Well, ive been at it pretty much non stop since my post earlier today, I didnt get all of it done, but most of it.

Ultramax is set up with the reactor, Eheim has the heater, autodoser is mounted and most everything is functional again, except my skimmer which has a stupidly short electrical cord and I need to dig out an extension for it from storage somewhere :crazy: I sent my query about the decreasing working pressure (second dial) to CO2Art the other day, and today I got a reply, they want me to perform more leak checking with soap so im thinking I will do that tomorrow cause im kinda exhausted at this point 😅
I also need to figure out the reactor, the little black bit seems to let the air out of the reactor (bleed it?), but at some point mostly water was coming out so I didnt get all of the air out and its still very noisy. Also this little black bit wont be able to be used this way once I hook up the CO2 line to it, so I need some sort of solution for that.. I will go read through the Yidao thread again to see if anyone had a fix.

Figured out the air thing, just tilted the reactor on its head until the air was out. Im glad I put some slack in the hoses. Now we will be able to sleep tonight :thumbup::thumbup:
Also put pressure in the regulator and looked for leaks, but couldnt find any 😐 Maybe the slightly lowered working pressure is just how the regulator is when both the needle valve and tank valve is closed 🤔 Doesnt sound right though.

Bah. Cant seem to get a steady bubble rate despite timing it for 60 seconds and dividing to get a more representative average rate. It keeps shifting kinda unpredictably. It was running at about 1 bubble every 5 seconds for ~6 hours since this morning, with absolutely no indication of change in the drop checker. Carefully tuned it up to 1 bubble every 4 seconds, and when I check the rate again ten minutes later suddenly there are hardly any bubbles at all going through.. Thats when I decided to pull the plug for now, even though im really wanting to get going with high tech. Its better not to start than to start and have to remove the CO2 later if there is indeed something wrong with the regulator.

Checked for a leak again using even soapier water, couldnt see anything, if theres a leak it must be absolutely atom sized because I cannot see any movement of soap bubbles once they have settled. I kinda wish CO2Art had customer support on weekends too, would have been nice not to be stranded for several days.

CO2 is nothing like it says on paper :grumpy: What good is theory if the whirlygigs dont act like they are supposed to

Back