• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Converting from Marine reef setup

Rich Jackson

Hi all,
After 14 years of marine reef keeping I have decided I want a different challenge and I am going to convert my tank to a planted freshwater setup.

I have a 3x2x2 ft tank with central weir and sump underneath. I have a 1500lt/hr return pump and a 150w halide. All other equipment from my marine tank I guess is now surplus to requirements!!

Questions........

Do I still need to use RO water or can I use just the carbon and micron filters then pass water through the DI section.

Is a 150w halide to much light for my size tank. I presume I will need to get a 6500k lamp?

Would I NEED CO2 injection kit?

What would I put in my sump for filtration.

Any help and advice would be VERY welcome!!!!

Cheers Rich. Newbie to the fresher side of fishkeeping!!

There is not that much conflicting info on this forum is there?

If you want to keep the sump then you will definitely need C02, if you want fast growth you will need C02.
You could use your light if you can get it high enough & you use C02.
You dont need any mains water filtration just a dechlorinator!
You dont need a 6500k bulb, any colour will work, best to choose a nice colour (6500 is fine though)
Bio ball in the sump are fine & you can inject the C02 directly into the pump or via a reactor.

1-2 wpg lighting with C02 & 10 x flow rate works well.

Reactions: tim
Not found conflicting info on forum no! Out in internet world.
How high is high enough for my light? Wouldnt having it anything over a foot above the tank defeat the point of a halide? Mine is 15cm above the water at he moment!!
Inject CO2 via a reactor? What type of reactor? Do I run CO2 only with lights or 24/7?

Did say I have loads of questions! :)

Hi Rich and welcome.

I'm pleased you've chosen UKAPS to ask your questions. I can vouch for the quality and consistancy of information from our members.

Have you read this article yet? Setting up a “higher” tech planted tank | UK Aquatic Plant Society

With regards your lighting; do you have access to a PAR meter? This will allow you to position the lighting above the tank at a suitable height. This is mainly determined by the type of setup you're after in terms of chosen plants and maintenance.
More light means CO2, extra nutrients and proper circulation are essential.

All the best,
George

The main forum heading have all the detail you require in the most finite detail available, if I start at the beginning I would in effect be starting a new forum!
Very briefly then... we try to use as little light as possible to achieve our goal = the less light the better!
You need to really study flow within the tank as this is the key to success = good C02 distribution.
(You can check out a reactor in my signature link)

Thanks.
I did intend to change lighting to led or t5 as dont want light miles above tank as I will go blind from light spill!

You say steady water flow? What type of volumes do yoh mean? I have 16000 ltr/hr in my 400 ltrs at the moment.

It's funny to see someone in my shoes only a couple months ago... I too have just left the world of reefing..

How did you find converting? Did you use your tank sump etc?
First and foremost, i am now richer Lol. No I didn't use the marine tank in the end as i wanted something that was better suited for a freshwater set up. External filter, twin t5 built into an enclosed lid, something a bit smaller too with not so much depth. Went from a 2ft cube marine tank to a jewel Rio 125. Although I had a funny five minutes with a marine nano in between which just didn't work out..

This used to be my marine tank
te8azute.jpg

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Back