• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cory pandas keep dying

pseudodiego

Hi everyone.

For some reason, I'm having trouble keeping new panda corys alive.

I have a 80 gallon tank going with 50 tetra cardinal, 6 otocinclus, 5 vampire shrimps, and two honey gourami(Planning to add three more).

Three times I tried adding corydoras panda and the three times they get sick and ends dying.

The parameters are as follow:
7 PH
5 GH
2 KH
0 ammonia
0 nitrates
Under 10 nitrites.

The temp is 24 C, and about filtration, I have a JBL 1500, a aquaclear 70 and a 2200 liters/h sump. So no problem there either.

The rest of the fish are perfect, not a single one died. Isn't a new tank either as the tank have been going for over one year with different species. It's just the panda cories.

About plants, I have anubias, java fern and cryptocorynes submersed, and above water I have some big pothos and peace lilies.

I have buy three times from three different reputable stores, so it doesn't seem to be bad stock either. I buy them online, and I have them at home in under 16 hours.

I have read about this: Corydora Self Poisoning.
But wouldn't that be a widespread issue with all cories then?

Any idea where the problem might be? Thanks.

I think it would be useful to see a picture of the tank, and can you describe also how they died/how long it took and symptoms?

It could be something about the substrate, since the cories would interact with that and none of the other fish would. Do you have sand, gravel, soil? What types?

Are the Peace Lily roots in the aquarium and accessible by the Pandas if they are then the Pandas could be grazing around them and there is a possibility that any increased concentration of oxalate released from tissues may be affecting them.

:)

I think it would be useful to see a picture of the tank, and can you describe also how they died/how long it took and symptoms?

It could be something about the substrate, since the cories would interact with that and none of the other fish would. Do you have sand, gravel, soil? What types?
8b6f9877-83bc-4fe9-af97-6d881c9e6b90.jpg

The substrate is sand, they never seems pretty active as soon as I put them in, and after a few days they show erratic behavior, falling on their sides and it get worse until they die. The substrate is pretty clean.

Are the Peace Lily roots in the aquarium and accessible by the Pandas if they are then the Pandas could be grazing around them and there is a possibility that any increased concentration of oxalate released from tissues may be affecting them.

:)
Nope, they are in a small side aquarium with a pea puffer, connected to the main aquarium. The corys can't interact directly with the roots.

I was going to say something about the substrate. It dont look very welcoming. The island looks very nice.

Yes, that sand worries me a bit. They put sand through their gills. Do they have flukes? When I had deaths it was usually that. Mine were posted as well.

Nope, they are in a small side aquarium with a pea puffer, connected to the main aquarium. The corys can't interact directly with the roots.
Hi
you can get some MTS snails if they make it(as they live in substrate mainly) that should rule out substrate issues
Regards Konstantin

.. they never seems pretty active as soon as I put them in, and after a few days they show erratic behavior, falling on their sides and it get worse until they die. ..
Just to clarify, they seem active when you put them in or they dont?
That they are dying within a few days suggests a larger issue to me. Do you gradually acclimate them to your water when you get them, or do you put them right from the bag to your tank?

That you do regular waterchanges is good, this excludes my first idea which was old tank syndrome.

Hi
you can get some MTS snails if they make it(as they live in substrate mainly) that should rule out substrate issues
Regards Konstantin
Might do so, but I think I'm done with cories in this aquarium.
Just to clarify, they seem active when you put them in or they dont?
That they are dying within a few days suggests a larger issue to me. Do you gradually acclimate them to your water when you get them, or do you put them right from the bag to your tank?

That you do regular waterchanges is good, this excludes my first idea which was old tank syndrome.
I acclimated drip by drip over three hours. Same method that I used for the otocinclus and they are perfectly fine.

They were lethargic when I put them in. I have never observed in any of them the normal behavior of a corydora, they just move for a bit searching for food, and them stays still for a long time.

Could be the substrate. A quarantine tank first would be ideal as if they are ok in that it tells you something. Looks like water quality is ok other fish are ok. Bought and delivered could be incorrect transit fish suffering stress on arrival. A sort of exhaustion not apparant to us. Otto's tend to rest on leaves above the substrate. Adding botanical leaves may help if the substrate can be ruled out

I'm still a newbie and can't give accurate advice, but given that cories sift sand through their gills I think any gravel can be an issue. I wonder if you could add an area of sand? But the substrate may not be the issue. I had a delivery where quite a few died in the issue was flukes. Do they have any red markings? It could be worth trying anti-fluke meds. A lot of people quarantine them with some anti-fluke meds. Small cories do seem sensitive in the first month. Usually if they get through that they are fine. Adding leaves is a great idea, especially oak and almond. Actually when I look at the tank I think replacing all the substrate may not be that difficult. You've made a beautiful tank. My habrosus go through periods of being still. They did it more when other fish were in there. I think what Paraguay says is true, that if they are wild caught they may arrive and still be in shock and underfed.

I'm still a newbie and can't give accurate advice, but given that cories sift sand through their gills I think any gravel can be an issue. I wonder if you could add an area of sand? But the substrate may not be the issue. I had a delivery where quite a few died in the issue was flukes. Do they have any red markings? It could be worth trying anti-fluke meds. A lot of people quarantine them with some anti-fluke meds. Small cories do seem sensitive in the first month. Usually if they get through that they are fine. Adding leaves is a great idea, especially oak and almond. Actually when I look at the tank I think replacing all the substrate may not be that difficult. You've made a beautiful tank. My habrosus go through periods of being still. They did it more when other fish were in there. I think what Paraguay says is true, that if they are wild caught they may arrive and still be in shock and underfed.

Thanks. I'll see about the fluke

About the substrate, I think isn't gravel. This is the product from up close:
Sand cories.png

Maybe, but I wonder if it is gritty and has sharp pieces? Perhaps it's fine for cories, but I am always aware that as their natural feeding technique is to expel the sand through their gills they can suffer if the sand is sharp. Others will know better. Anyway, it doesn't sound like the cause with yours, which seem more affected by travel and malaise. I wouldn't be put off, but I might switch to a different type pf Cory. I have found false Julii the strongest of the ones I tried. I do also think a quantity of leaf litter, which they like to hide in. I think even neons can possibly be a worry to cories in an exposed scape. I noticed my habrosus change behaviour and explore much more after I removed some juvenile pencilfish. The pencils ignored them, but I think they didn't like to see any fish swimming above them. Again, that's not really the issue your concerned with.

Hi, I've just skimmed the thread but I see they were sent overnight and then they had a long acclimation. I don't have time at the minute to go into detail but if the others think I'm right then perhaps one would clarify, but this might be the problem. Overnight shipping and then a lengthy acclimation with the bag open to the air might be the issue. The fish pollute the water but it isn't a problem until you open the bag.

Back