• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Corydoras Glass Surfing

DoubleL

Added my first fish, a group of 12 Corydoras Sterbia to my 240L tank 3 days ago. They seem to not want to settle. They spend almost every waking minute going back and forth along the glass at the mid to high level of the tank, particularly at the back.

I've read on other sites that glass surfing is a normal behaviour, while others have said its from stress. From my perspective it looks stressful pacing back and forth all day!

I've been testing the water twice a day, once before the CO2 comes on & during the lighting. Parameters seem perfect, so I'm hoping it's just time they need from the move. Would think if there was an issue the amano shrimp would suffer, but they are thriving.

I've read Corys like very oxygenated water, so I'm concerned the CO2 might bother them & have turned it down a bit. I've got an oxygenator that I haven't used yet, but will try running that at night when lights are off to see if that helps.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this behaviour when adding Cory's to their tank?

Mine did that when they were young and first added to my tank. It can be both normal and stress, in the sense that it's their way to get the measure of their new environment and to bond within it. Mine still do it a little prior to mating. Others can confirm but I think juveniles do it more?

Mine did that when they were young and first added to my tank. It can be both normal and stress, in the sense that it's their way to get the measure of their new environment and to bond within it. Mine still do it a little prior to mating. Others can confirm but I think juveniles do it more?
I see. Hopefully a bit more patience from my part & all will be well.

How long did it take for yours to calm down?

Some weeks or months, but it got less. As I recall they especially do it at dusk in terms of the light cycle. My hunch is that if you had an oxygen issue you'd see more dashes to the surface, combined with lethargy. Your tank is new to them, don't worry too much.

They seem to not want to settle.
Are there suitable places for them to settle? Sheltered spots in the shade and out of the flow? Suitable substrate for them to rummage in?
while others have said its from stress.
I believe it's stress. I've never seen them do it in my tanks; they have only swum against the glass for egg-laying.
Parameters seem perfect,
I'm sure you're right, BUT when people say that and you press them for actual figures it is not always the case. :)

I think the most likely cause is that they came from a tank without CO2 injection, and find their new environment very strange. Hopefully they will get used to it snd settle down.
In an ideal world we would all have quarantine tanks, and high-tech users could use the quarantine period to acclimatise their fish by gradually increasing CO2 and lighting to match the display tank. Its not practical for every-one though.

Some weeks or months, but it got less. As I recall they especially do it at dusk in terms of the light cycle. My hunch is that if you had an oxygen issue you'd see more dashes to the surface, combined with lethargy. Your tank is new to them, don't worry too much.
Yeah I'm not seeing any upward dashes at all. I've got the spray bar angled upwards so there's plenty of surface agitation

Are there suitable places for them to settle? Sheltered spots in the shade and out of the flow? Suitable substrate for them to rummage in?
I've got a couple big bits of bog wood with the left piece having a cave like area with anubias in. They can get through the back to that as well as the front. There are also plenty of plants at the back which are still growing & I'm going to let thicken.

The substrate at the back is aquasoil and there is a sand bath through the center & front.

I bought some tubeflex live worms & they burried themselves in the sand. The first time I've seen them acting normal at the bottom when they were routing around for them.
I'm sure you're right, BUT when people say that and you press them for actual figures it is not always the case. :)
This last test after the lights have been on for 5 hours are:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = <5.0
PH = 6.8
KH = 7dKH
GH = 10dGH

The PH dropped from the morning from around 7.2. This is less than previous nights which dropped closer to 6.0. I've turned down the CO2 so I assume this is the cause.

Anything out of the ordinary?

Attachments

• 20231118_192136.jpg
    20231118_192136.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 77
If hiding places is ok, my first guess is they were not accumulated to CO2. Adding any livestock I turn it off a day before and then only turn it on at initially lower levels after at least a day or two. I'd turn it off now

I'd rather say that when someone claims "water parameters are perfect" it's a strong indication of the lack of experience and understanding.
Won't deny that. First time since a child since I've had an aqaurium. Especially not a high tech one

How did you get them, were they posted or local collection etc?
It's not pleasant to watch and the first time I saw it I was worried. However, it seems to be quite common and I wouldn't worry too much unless it continues for more than a week or two especially if none of your other fish are showing any cause for concern.
I don't know if it's stress in transport, species, change of water chemistry or something else but my duplicareus and second group of eques did it at first. My first group of eques, gold lasers, sterbai, habrosus, pygmaeus and atropersonatus didn't.
As others have said it's a good idea to turn off CO² before adding any fish coming from a non-CO² tank, especially those that like higher O² levels but when O² is low they tend to hang at the surface gasping, rather than darting about, which uses oxygen.
I don't imagine that it will be spawning but spawning behaviour does look the same and sterbai are quite easy to breed. With the fluctuations in atmospheric pressure we've been having my sterbai have been spawning every couple of days.

How did you get them, were they posted or local collection etc?
It's not pleasant to watch and the first time I saw it I was worried. However, it seems to be quite common and I wouldn't worry too much unless it continues for more than a week or two especially if none of your other fish are showing any cause for concern.
I picked them out from the local fish store. Took them back and acclimated them over a couple hours with the drip method.

How long would you recommend leaving the CO2 off after adding new fish?

I won't run it tomorrow & see if they get a bit more calm.

They will love that tank. When I've had genuine problems due to a malfunctioning filter the corys stay still on the bottom, with ocassional dashes to the surface for air. I do think this is more the stress of a new tank and also a way they establish themselves as a group.

It could be a difference(could be marginal) in water parameters, the Discus chap l know used to mention that a lot Once they settle they should be ok but there's a lot said about occasionally "bad batch" regarding what was always an easy fish. But generally shops won't accept Corys bred by hobbyists these days ,which is a shame IMO

Back