• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Corydoras Sterbai problem.

Maloney

Hi all, one of my sterbai corys has lost its barbs from around its mouth, and doesn't seem as bright as the others in colour, its feeding ok, I have 4 others which seem fine, I have 70/30% mix of sand/small pea gravel substrate.
Any ideas?
Tony.

Hey tony,

I heard that corys loose their barbs due to damage from a course substrate when rooting through it for food.

Could this possibly be the cause? And maybe picked up an infection from that?

The information you gave was a little vague, maybe photos could help if you can snap the cory in question.

Regards,

They do grow back, but very slowly and its perhaps best if you manage to catch it and put into a quarentine tank and monitor it.

It its lost its barbs it might be prone to infection and weaken its immune system leading it to a whole host of health issues if not looked at.

See if you are able to take a photo of it. I had a sterbai who lost its tail fins as it was being chased by the group. I had to put it aside and eventually made a recovery but the tail looks a little stumpy now :)

Well substrate was my first thought too and I've had all the corys for the same among of time ,2yrs; on the same substrate ,white sand and patches of smooth pea gravel, and the others are fine ,as are all the other inhabitants, I will try n sort a spare tank tomorrow as quarantine ,as of this eve lookin worse signs of fin damage /rot, the others don't seem to hassle him and he still eating ,but swims to the surface a lot , tank is non co2 , weekly 50% water changes , weekly ferts, no camera available at the mo ,

It's commonly stated that rough substrates can erode Corydoras' barbels. But many people have rough substrates with no problems. Of course, those that say that it's a problem will say that there will be trouble later. I read recently some work by some-one who has actually studied this; unfortunatley I can't find the reference at the moment. He found that the barbel erosion is due to an infection, and usually associated with a build up of dirt in the substrate. He found that it can be cured by cleaning the substrate and making a large water change. Medication may be necessary if the infection is very advanced.
hth

Back