• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

could this be a hydrocotyle?

gmartins

Hi,

was walking around and saw this plant. I know it's terrestrial but... could it be a hydrocotyle? It's growing on the mosses in a shaded area. Air humidity is quite high here in the Azores so may it's in a "natural" emersed form????

testejt.jpg

cheers,

GM

Thanks guys.

This is fantastic. It this means I get hydrocotyle for free. there's lo's of it around in shaded faces of walls amonst thick mosses :thumbup:

Any chance of IDing the species?

cheers,

GM

Hi Darrel,

I thought it would be strange as well but it really looks like one hence my doubts.

But then again, on the same website you can see that we have hydrocotyle vulgaris here in the Azores and it is also very similar.

http://www.azoresbioportal.angra.uac.pt ... &id=F00527

I will collect a specimen and ask someone at the uni if it's possible to ID it for me.

cheers,

GM

Hi all,
But then again, on the same website you can see that we have hydrocotyle vulgaris here in the Azores and it is also very similar.
Certainly could be, Hydrocotyle spp. are similar in appearance to Umbilicus spp., because they both have peltate leaves, we have H. vulgaris in the UK as well.

The easiest way would be by habitat, H. vulgaris grows in wet, open places, often where the water levels fluctuates, like along the edge of ponds where they are often submerged. Umbillicus grows in drier, shady places, often out of dry stone walls.

They also belong to different families so if traces of flowers remain that would be useful, Hydrocotyle is an Umbellifer (Apiaceae), and has a very reduced umbel of flowers at floor level and U. rupestris has a long, upright spike of tubular flowers. Also H. vulgaris has shiny leaves, and U. rupestris dull leaves, and yours look quite shiny.

The leaves of Hydrocotyle will come from a rhizome, but Umbilicus they will come from a central point.

I have tried H. vulgaris in the aquarium, but it didn't enjoy life, I'm not sure whether it was too warm, or whether it didn't enjoy being constantly submerged.

cheers Darrel

Back