• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Could this be planaria?

CheckeredRust

The shape of this worm's head seems a little different compared to the others I've seen before. The head looks rounded, but I can't really be sure.
In the photo, the worm is moving downwards, 4 o'clock direction

Attachments

• PXL_20210824_121941633.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210824_121941633.MP.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,050
I've just treated my tanks with "Panacur" (Fenbendazole) and did a sample jar with a few Planaria in it and dosed that as well, they are resilient little things and take a few days to slow right down, think tanks may need a second dose in a few weeks just to make sure.

Tried using traps and got on top of them some time back, but when you see them on glass how many are hiding, was a bit more careful when drawing a syphon I can tell you o_O🤣

I have nearly elimated all planaria in my shrimp bowl by physical removal. I feed my shrimp with floating pellets that lure planaria to crawl up on glass since they can smell food but can’t swim. I vacuumed them out one by one with a turkey baster starting out with a dozen at every feeding time, declined to a few weeks later, and none to occasionally one or two months later. It requires persistent effort and works for me because I have a small bowl and small planaria population to begin with. It’s more effective than using trap I tried and gave up previously.

In my shrimp tank I used one of the glass planaria traps and never really was convinced that I go them all, I used NoPlanaria and it irradicated them even the snails that I missed removing first survived.

There is a pointy head but because the tissue is soft and not rigid and because there is forward motion it’s being compressed, if it reversed direction you’d see it. You need a closer image and decent illumination from behind to show enough transparency to see the eyes. The planform for planaria varies a lot but is consistently identifiable.

The movement in the video is exactly planarian in nature.

:)

If you touch it, and it contracts into a tiny dot, then it is confirmation of a planaria.

Oh man, looks like I will be getting a worm trap. I have Nerites in my tank and I don't have a spare tank to house it if I were to nuke this tank.

Off topic, how do I tell the difference between planaria and rhabdocoela?

Back