• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Couldn't stay away

Mamoo123

Seedling
Hi all, new member looking for advice.

I'm not new to planted tanks and in the past have had a couple of successful planted tanks but after a 3 year break and keeping marine I feel like a complete newbie again.

I've just shut my Zoa tank down and transferred all live stock to my larger reef tank. I've been chomping at the bit to get a freshwater tanks set up again - and would like to use the now empty tank, plus whatever equipment I have lying around.

The tank is a 60x45x45 with 80 litre(ish) sump with three sections, I've never used a sump on a planted tank before, can anyone offer any advice on what/how to set this up for optimum filtration?

I have an old C02 Art regulator, solenoid etc, so C02 should be covered and an MP10 and spray bars to help with flow if needed,

The sump is currently set up with a pump to turn the volume over at 10x per hour, will this be enough? Also, it's a long shot but I have a full spectrum, programmable reef light - could this be utilised in any way if I play about with the colour a little? Ultimately, I'd like to grow some of the more demanding plants so not sure if this would be up to the job?

As you can tell I'm currently in the planning stages but really excited to be getting back to this side of the hobby again.

I'm sure I'll have loads more questions but thank you for reading my looooong post.

Cheers

Hi, and welcome. Your current set up should be fine.

As for your light, I'm guessing it'll be weighted towards the blue end of the spectrum, in which case you may find balancing colour temp with intensity a compromise too far; to get the intensity you need you may have to compromise on colour temp in which case the colours will appear washed out, and vice-versa. Most of us find a colour temp of around 6000k, give or take, the most aesthetically pleasing.

Anyway, give it a go. If you're not happy with it there are plenty of affordable and controllable options, freshwater LED tech has moved on quite a bit over the last few years. Try a search, there's plenty of info here on UKAPS.

Thanks for the welcome all. Got a lot of reading and catching up to do.

Still struggling with the sump and what to run in it but I'll figure it out. Thinking various sponges, Siporax and carbon at the moment but still a lot more to consider. I do have a couple of media reactors, so maybe I could put these to use? And if all else fails,
I have a couple of external filters in the loft somewhere :)

I'll start off with the light I have and will look to upgrade in the future. Although, I've just found a chihiros led which I'd forgotten about but it's too small and Giessman Tezlar reef light but maybe I can diy something to tide me over, hmmmm.

Anyway, once I get my head around everything I can get going

Back