• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

creepy crawly

2014-03-22161712_zpsb453b29a.jpg

Found this creepy crawly in a stream, holding on to the rocks but also pretty good in swimming upstream. It looks like some kind of dragonfly larva, maybe someone here will be able to tell which one. I also saw one that's bright green holding on to the edge of a small waterfall.
I keep being amazed what I find in this stream, even though it is still inside the city and it's not a small city with 14 million people living in it.

I love the dragon fly, one of the things I love about going fishing in the summer. Amazing air display watching them warm up then take off chasing food is awesome.

Yes robbie, let's not forget the damsels, not sure if they follow the same diet as the draggon fly but happy to see them sat on the end of a float pushing it under taking off then onto your rod. They are pretty little things.

Smaller flying inverts are the main diet I believe, the blue damselflies are gorgeous, there are a few different species of blue but they are easy to distinguish. The black banding on the abdomen and especially the terminal band next to the thorax really helps to set them apart. Most are found near still waters but the beautiful demoiselle, my fave is found on small streams.
http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/species/beautiful-demoiselle

Glad to hear that as I hate mozzies:).my favorite spot where I pike fish is an widened stream dug out years ago for a flood bank.it's a bit like the fenns and drains up in Linconshire ( full of big pike. It's my favourite because of the wild life bats owls at night and the noisey naff flying pheasants roost there. The water is covered with nats mozzies so it's perfect for all. As long your covered in insect repelant:) just had a look at your link thankyou:)

Dragonflies and Damsels are great to look at indeed. Summer is coming and I will try to take some pictures of the ones I can see here. The pictures won't be a good quality but it might give you a nice indea about which species there a here in south China.

Dragonflies and Damsels are great to look at indeed. Summer is coming and I will try to take some pictures of the ones I can see here. The pictures won't be a good quality but it might give you a nice indea about which species there a here in south China.
Will look forward to seeing them, have never seen any species from China, thank you :thumbup:

Back