• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CRS and CJ

vlato

Seedling
Hello,

can i add CRS to my 30L tank with 5 Caridina Japonica ? Its plenty planted tank with mosses. Thanks for help !
nklu.jpg

I want to know if CJ can attack and kill CRS, sorry for my english :angelic:

From personal experience I have only seen CRS selectively attack another member of its own genus. My own CRS colony quite happily inhabit their tank alongside hitchhiker cherry fry that have grown to adult size over the last two months, neither are bothered by the other. In my community tank I have Red Rilli and Red Cherry shrimp happily co-existing, both appear to be more interested in eating than fighting/breeding.

I would be inclined to think they'll ignore each other, keeping shrimp species separate is more about preventing unwanted hybridisation, but I'm sure there's some that like to fight.

One member on here reported seeing their amano shrimp picking up a pregnant crs and eating the eggs off her like they were grapes.

Thanks guys for respond :) I put Amanos into another tank.

CRS and Amano shrimp Caridina multidentata are of the same genus (Caridina) but won't cross breed as their reproductive methods are different.

Being much bigger and stronger, the Amano shrimp can use this strength and size to outcompete the CRS for the best food sources, and I've seen mine grab a small cherry shrimp after moulting and start eating it...

Generally healthy shrimp are safe, but if your main aim is breeding the CRS they would indeed be best in a separate tank :).

I've never heard of an Amano eating the eggs from a live shrimp, but I can certainly believe it! :O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back